I felt the effects of working long days this week more than I ever remember before. Most of the time I realize that I have MORE stamina, more staying power, more energy at the end of the day that MOST of my co-workers. Even at age 64. I just don't seem to get as tired out as they do.
This week has really NOT been an exception to that as far as the DAY goes BUT Wednesday night I had a horrible bout with aching legs. Funny thing about that is, it wasn't even Wednesday that I worked a long day. I worked from 8 until 8 on Monday and made it fine. On Wednesday I left work at about 5:15, came home, took a nice refreshing shower to get the sweat of unloading a late arriving truck off me, and went to church and SAT there for a long time. And THAT NIGHT is the night I couldn't sleep because of my legs aching. (Maybe the cup of coffee I drank before going to church had something to do with the wakefulness but NOT the aching.)
I probably didn't get four hours of good sleep.
Then I went back in to work on Thursday from 9 until closing (which was about 8:30) to get out the freight that didn't arrive on Wednesday morning. My legs were okay at work, but when I came home, they seemed like they were going to try a repeat performance of Wednesday night. I rubbed them down with peppermint lotion and aspercreme, took a ibuprofen PM, and slept good all night.
I don't understand what happened on Wednesday night.
Today I get to catch up on what needs done at home and tonight I get to see some of my grandkids. Then back to work tomorrow for the third Saturday in a row.... and I notice on the new schedule put up yesterday, I'm working next Saturday too.
FOUR in a row.
Oh, well, next Saturday is my "normal" Saturday to work. Maybe things will get straightened out soon. Come to think of it, I don't believe it is. I think it is "normal" for me to have the Saturday off before I have Ginger and Shane over for dinner on Sunday. Hmm. I wonder what's going on here? I guess I'll need to be asking about that.
I really thought that I'd be off and was planning on a lunch with my brothers. Things are all topsy-turvey right now. When the new manager comes, I suppose it will all straighten out. Although, who knows what's ahead for us. The supervisor -- chain of command just above our manager-- has been in our store this week checking us out and she's already made some proclamations about "some employees need to go" if they aren't willing to work WHEN we need them to work. She's made other "proclamations" too. I suppose we're in for more changes.
"New Manager" starts on July 12. He's coming from up north. Maybe the cooler nature of the north-- temperature wise and hospitality wise-- will inoculate him to the "cooler" DM he is going to have to be dealing with. Or--wouldn't it be a miracle?--perhaps the DM will FINALLY begin to comprehend that SOME agreeableness is required even when you are there to tell other people how to do their job better.
7 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment