Thursday, July 15, 2010

Weird Day

It's easier for me to get used to someone who is generally not friendly who "wakes up" and speaks to me on occasion than it is to understand someone who is generally friendly but then doesn't even acknowledge my presence all day.... looks at me like they are looking through me... that kind of thing.

I know that's a double standard. I'm just telling you how it affects me.

Like, I have a co-worker who is very out-going and friendly. The first time she went through one of those "look-through-me" days, I wondered all day what I had done to offend her. I found out at the end of the day that her feet had given her terrible pain all day. Another time she did me that way, I found out she had a headache. So, when SHE does that I just try to assume that she's feeling bad.

I guess the coming of the new co-manager must have affected my new boss. He didn't "see" me all day. I thought he might speak with a simple "hi" because he had told us that his "issue" would be that we always speak to one another and to customers with a "hi". (He said saying "hi" to a customer let them know you were available if you need them.) On Monday and Tuesday he was very outgoing and nice. Of course, on Wednesday, like I said, he was taken off to the office to be given the lowdown on spreadsheets... and I was too busy to notice what he might be doing otherwise.

But when I came in today, I really thought he'd speak in passing. He didn't. Not all day. I'm sure that he NOW has a lot on his mind. He's beginning to get an inkling of what he's got into. It might be pressing in on him. I hope that's what it is.

Or, it may be that the first two days were the exception and what I'll have to get used to is a boss that is only friendly from time to time (like me. Like when I "wake up" and see that there are other people in my world. It REALLY IRRITATES the people who ALWAYS see and ALWAYS speak when I don't speak to them ... well, maybe they don't speak but they always see and know who didn't speak to them. At least that's how I've found it to be.)

By the time I got there today, my new boss seemed to be getting along well with our new co-manager. I believe the two of them are going to be a team that is going to work good for our store. And I'll just have to get used to the fact that when he's got something on his mind, he doesn't even speak... A.L.L. D.A.Y....

When we left this evening, he put back on his friendly face and was very nice again. It weirded me out that he was so very nice the first two days and then tuned out everything the next two. (I guess that must be how I affect people. Hmmm)

No comments: