The new co-manager came in and pretty much "took over"... which was not a bad thing because what she is working to do will get things done in the way we are expected to have them done. However, strange as it may seem, after three days with us, she goes on vacation. (I can understand that more than you may. We LOSE our vacations if we don't take them before our hire in date, so I imagine hers must be right on her or-- I know her -- she'd not do that.)
Anyway, she came in and REMADE the schedule. We actually will have TWO people on the floor EVERY night. When I say "on the floor", I mean covering the back from art all the way through seasonal. The floral person pretty much does her own thing when she's there. The fabrics person can't leave because she has to be there to cut fabric at all times. And the same things is true of the frame shop. Those areas are like they don't belong to the rest of the store as far as getting any help with customers, recovering, and such like.
I had the "whole" floor (parameter) to myself on Thursday night. That's a pretty tall feat in itself, but when you're on call to the registers every little bit, it makes it next to impossible to get everything done that is REQUIRED before the store closes.
And there's nothing more DELIGHTFUL than to have recovered scrapbooking first, then go back to check it out and find that some group of teenagers or bored kid has gone through and pushed all my rubber stamps to the back of the hutches, pushed all my Jesse James buttons and Spare Parts to the back of the peg hooks, and some child has "shopped" my stickers and their mom discovers the hand full and chunks them all up under my sticker waterfalls. GRRRR. (Pulling all that stuff back out to the edge again gives me plenty of opportunity to excercise myself in RESISTING bad attitudes toward anonymous people.)
Next week is going to be especially interesting. The assistant manager- who does seasonal, which we're BEHIND in, and the co-manager, the secretary, and the head of the frame shop are ALL ON VACATION. It was decreed yesterday that all of our orders had to be turned in by 12 noon on Monday and I don't usually get done with mine until 4 o'clock.
The new manager, who has completely "disappeared", will be the only one to do everything next week-- except the new co said she would come in to relieve him on Wednesday night because she knows how hard it is to do the truck and then stay to close.
It's going to be interesting.
Meantime, last night after work I exchanged my car for a van of FIVE kids and have been working my way through an evening and morning that is not the usual. No quiet cup of coffee while I "wake up" checking out who has updated their Facebook statuses.
And just now Autumn came and looked up at me with big brown eyes and said, "I pooped." So, that means I've gotta go now.....
7 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment