Wednesday, July 7, 2010

In the breakroom....

Brother Andy's testimony-- that one thing God witnessed to him when he was trying to weigh out the message of the church of God against other things he had heard as he grew up-- was:
"Jesus Christ didn't die to make it okay for people to sin."
And to me that is such a clear, concise statement of truth that I once had a bumper sticker made and "wore it" on my car. That car is no longer with me and I've not had another one created, but that truth still lives on.

And it served me well today.

Sometimes opportunities to tell others what we stand for just slip up on us. I was eating lunch in the breakroom with a number of my co-workers when they began the discussion of some "stars". I can't remember how I got pulled into the conversation, but somehow I got asked about certain "stars" and a number of names were called out to me.

When I responded, "I don't even know who those people are," the person who asked was totally in unbelief. "You've never seen 'Grease'?" (Only on my stove when I fry and I clean it off.)

I smiled and said, "I should be wearing a t-shirt that says: I'm not of this world."

Anyway, the conversation kept developing because this one person was so surprised. She asked me about T.V. (Again, I'm not sure how the conversation progressed to that point.) And, again, she was aghast that I didn't even have one. What was just as funny to me was that the two other people in the breakroom with us couldn't believe that she didn't know that I don't have a TV. Evidently, they felt like it was common knowledge with ALL my co-workers.

But the discussion kept proceeding as to why I didn't and I told them: I believe to be saved that you can't commit sin and one thing I won't do is be entertained by it.

I was surprised at how much "support" I got from the two other people in there. That they readily agreed that T.V. was full of garbage. The conversation went on for awhile with different aspects of what I believe and whether people could live without sin was really possible.

That's when I was able to pull out Bro. Andy's powerhouse statement: I don't believe Jesus died to make it okay for people to sin. And one of the co-workers said, I don't either.

I'm still amazed that the artillery wasn't pulled out on me. I really couldn't believe that the two people who knew more about my stand really just seemed willing to clarify it with the one who didn't know. They were very actually very nice.

Of course, people just do not comprehend a belief that you can live sin free. But I was able to agree with them that no person on his own can. That it takes the power of Jesus Christ in us and a life commitment to do His will.

I said, Most people just don't want to live the kind of life I live. They don't want to make that kind of sacrifice for their religion. They just want it as a part-time part of their lives.

Anyway, I suppose the thing that made me feel the best about the whole conversation was that those who had known me longest did not go into "attack mode" even though they may not completely understand and believe how it could be possible.

No comments: