Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Fault... I Should Have Known Better

Jeni had a migraine for at least two days so I volunteered to have her bring me the kids after work (which was 8:30PM) so she could have a break. Of course, that means we switch vehicles too because I'm not equipped for that many in my car.

We came on home and Brad began his usual litany of what the next day was going to hold for him: He was going to grand Uncle D's, to Uncle Josh's, to the park, to eat breakfast with Uncle D.... and on and on. But he did get hung up quite thoroughly on one part: He was most certainly going to the park and his Dad had said he would pick them up between three and four in the afternoon.

You know how you've always heard that if you hear something over and over and over, you can soon begin to believe that it is true. Well, that happened to me. He said over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over that he was being picked up between three and four. And he convinced me.

Now, why I say this is "my fault" is that if there's one thing that frustrates me and I lament over at work, it's when there is "no communication" on what we are doing, when, who's accountable, etc. But I never bothered to ask THE PARENTS what time they expected to get the children. I just took them and came home. Then my only input was Brad. WRONG!

Wouldn't have been a problem at all if I hadn't believed him, but since I did, I put all the things I really needed to get done for the day off thinking that I'd have "plenty of time" when there were no kids around to do my devotions, clean the house because I was having company for Sunday dinner, do the invoices, get things ready to go to church in the morning so I could leave early (because I am supposed to pick up Tim's kids and then be the substitute for counting up Sunday School attendance). Also, while I did have stuff for lunch on hand, I hadn't even thought about what I'd fix for supper because I was making it fine on tomato sandwiches.

After I learned my mistake, I "regrouped" and charged ahead with my new plan, but still I didn't make it to bed until 12:30 AM. And I didn't get enough cleaning done, but that I had to get up early this morning. I'm waking up with my coffee and am getting ready to charge ahead full steam and see how much more I can do before I have to leave (early) to go get the kids.

No comments: