Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Why Do Many of Us Put Important Things Off?



Thinking ahead ... I decided that I really don't have a whole lot longer left (maybe) that I will be working full time. At least not nearly as long as I've already worked. I'm 64. Another ten years would take me to 74. I have lost the great love for my job that used to have me saying, "I'm going to be like Miss Irene and still be working here at 84."

Anyway, I was thinking ahead and it came to me... finally...duh ... that I really needed to go to the dentist while I have dental insurance. (I know I haven't been in the ten years I've worked for Hobby Lobby and I have no idea when I may have gone before that or even to whom.)

Gross negligence.

I'd been thinking about this for awhile. I've had several fillings come out. I figured I was courting disaster. That one of these days I was going to have an EMERGENCY to deal with.

Then last week Tim had an emergency to deal with. He too has had fillings come out. I'm not sure what precipitated his "emergency" but he had one. He was in SEVERE pain with a tooth from which the filling had fallen out. After a horrendous weekend of pain, he went to a dentist on Monday morning and got that tooth pulled.

That was my wake up call.

I knew if I didn't act I could be right behind him. So I dug out my insurance information and went online to find me a dentist that was covered under my policy. Luckily, the one at Morgan City fell into that category. I called and set up an appointment.

I went this morning for a cleaning. They were VERY NICE. No reprimands. No, "This is horrible, how could you have neglected your dental care so long!?" But the results came that I need one tooth pulled, two filled and three crowned.

WOW!


My insurance only covers half on crowns. (It covered 100% on cleaning.) It will cover 80% on the fillings and pulling. I pay $50 deductible for the year and then the other 20%. I'm looking at close to a thousand dollars out of MY pocket.


I told them we'd start with the work that the insurance pays 80% on and go from there.

So, if you have dental insurance that covers 100% on preventative care I would strongly suggest that you take advantage of it as often as it allows. I think with mine, I could have gone twice a year and paid NOTHING.

No comments: