Although the weight lifting part of it may actually have been trimmed down...
I don't go in until nine.
Which is fine with me, but will certainly cause askance of the ones who ARE there. Who is going to take the freight to the floor?
Generally, I'm the MAIN one.
I kinda fell into that slot by my own choice. I used to help unload the truck. For years. But when my knees began giving me more trouble, I found that it was RARE for a truck driver to get the truck docked perfectly so that there was a seamless joint between the truck and the stockroom. Most usually there's a "hump" that first requires pulling the load of freight UP and OVER which immediately turns into a little down "hill" venture. The momentum that goes with pulling to get up and over is still going strong when you get to the down hill slope, so it takes a bit of effort to slow the load down to keep it from running you over. Which is all okay, if your knees are in good shape, but mine are not young anymore.
There are two other jobs that must be done. One is sorting the freight to departments within the stockroom itself. I opted out on that because it's a two or three person job and sometimes tempers flare and the talk gets "rough".
Indiscreetly, without fanfare, a long time ago, I just stepped into the roll of getting the freight to the floor. I moved it out quickly and that made everyone happy because if it doesn't get out quickly, it ends up blocking our progress. (My issues were not in lifting or moving quickly; they were all in the effect of that "hump" from the truck to the stockroom floor and how it affected my knees. ) So, anyway, I ended up making myself a "valuable player" in the Wednesday morning fiasco of getting the freight to the floor. And when I'm not there, I'm missed.
But, the turnover in management and thus, the turnover in who makes out the schedule, has sometimes thrown a wrench in the works. Believe me, I'm NOT going to complain about not being there. It's the others that say, "Where's Mitchi?"
We'll see what happens today. I'd be delighted if they figured out a way to get that freight to the floor as quickly without me being there. I certainly would not be starting off the day as tired as I usually do.
I was scheduled 9 to 6. That's going to make it really close-- if I even get to leave at 6-- to get to church on time. Wednesdays are such "sweaty" days that I really want to come home and clean up first. With all that's gone on lately, the pressures from above, and the new management working so hard to comply, that's not always been possible.
However, I did get a chance to tell our new co that it was important to me to get to church on Wednesday night and that I hoped she would address the problem of giving me help on freight days.
Today I have a big order to get out because after last week, when I did just what I was told and turned my book in early, it meant my order was lean. When the attitude adjustment was made that allowed me to go back to doing " a good order" I had to order more because I was filling some places that would have been taken care of last week if I hadn't turned my book in early.
I'll have to leave is an hour. Must get going.
7 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment