Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Flip-Flopped Day

Last week, the co had written a note on the day's schedule for Friday: "If you're off on Saturday, turn your order books in on Friday." (She was OFF on Friday herself, but she makes those schedules out the day before.)


Well, I was off on Saturday and because I had good help getting my freight out on Thursday, I was able to work on my order most of the time on Friday. I did get interrupted when we had the stock test. But, I almost got done.


When I got to work on Monday, the day's schedule said, "If you want to leave early,  tell me."


What a great idea!!


I had already been wondering what I was going to do after I got that order done. I concluded the only really important things would be to check in with the crafts person and help her with a new layout she said she had.


So, I told my co-manager as much. She said she felt like they were making good enough progress on the layout and that it wasn't due until the latter part of next week, so if I wanted to leave I could. (She's really trying to save hours because we have a HUGE Home Accents relay that's going to starting soon and she's not wanting to go over payroll when  she schedules more hours for that to get done.)




I put up my ad signs and finished up my order. And I was done by 9:30.


I took some CDs of the revival to Jef. I was wanting to go visit Sister Faith but didn't know how to get there and had mentioned to Sister Dorothy that I was off on Tuesday and maybe we could go together. (Faith is her daughter in law.) But I had a whole day (almost) and I was already half way there so I thought I might could work it out that I'd just go on up there on Monday.


I called Jeni because I also wanted to spend some time with her and I knew she knew where Faith lived. I found out that she was supposed to go help Faith the next day. So, after a little talking through the whole situation, I said, I'll keep the girls and Brad overnight and bring them back to you tomorrow, because I was going to come out there anyway.


So, we planned to meet and do that. Meantime, Sister Faith had to go back to the hospital. Which changed all our plans. Jeni wouldn't be needed the next day. I wouldn't be going to Hazel Green. So, instead of me taking the kids, Jeni and I shopped at the Thrift Mart. I bought what she picked out then she took me to lunch at Burger King. 

The tulips at Burger King on University.
They had such beautiful flowers there.  Autumn LOVED them.  Jeni almost got a really good picture of her bending over a tulip lightly touching it.  It would have been so good, but that girl doesn't stand still long enough to capture those moments.  Instead, she took a picture of me and the girls.  

I got home from town before the time I had originally been scheduled to get off from work.   And I spent a whole lot of the rest of the day reading a book I got at the thrift store which I found to be quite interesting called "when God winks" which tells about remarkable coincidences in peoples' lives that the author attributes to the intervention of God at just the right time.   

He calls them "God winks" because he said they reminded him of when he was a child and he would look up at his grandfather and catch his grandfatherr  looking at him with love in his eyes.  When his grandfather would notice that he was looking back, he'd give him a wink which-- in an instant-- expressed that  great love he had for his grandson.  


So his "God winks" are those winks that show God is watching us and does something in an instant that shows how much He loves and cares.   


There are some remarkable "coincidences" in the book.  Remarkable.   It would kind of make you think of the phrase "angels among us"**.   There are some UNEXPLAINABLE things that happen that should cause all of us to realize that there are things happening that we can't see that shows we are being "watched".

One of the "God winks" that sticks in my mind the most right now was about a man who traveled with his family to be a blessing.  They had stopped at a rest stop and he decided to go for a walk.  In his walk, he passed a phone booth and the phone started ringing.   He chose to ignore it for awhile but decided to answer.   The person on the other end of the phone asked, "Is this.... " and called HIS name!!   He thought it was a Candid Camera moment.  He was looking around to see who was playing a joke on him.   However, it was not a prank call but instead a real call from a woman who was contemplating suicide. She had been somewhere that his group had been and decided to call him first.  She said that his number just came into her mind. She just remembered it somehow. She dialed it and got right to what she thought was HIS OFFICE.     


Amazing.   The call worked well for both of them.  She was encouraged to seek God.  He was made to see that God saw him right where he was at all times.

** I referenced this particular book on "angels among us" rather than all the ones that tell accounts of angels among us because I believe what this man -- going by what I was able to read in this excerpt at the Google book  location-- deals with the subject in a much more Biblical way than is dealt with by most angel advocates.

No comments: