I'm going to admit right now how mean I can be.
Brad's bedroom is at the far end of the house. On that end there is also another bathroom. And between that bedroom and the living room is the playroom. (That area was originally designed to be a two car garage. It was NEVER used for that purpose. It was just that we could only have so much FINISHED space and get the loan we were getting. As soon as the loan was approved, the garage door came out, walls went up and we had a 22x28 space left to be finished out.)
There is a key locking door that goes out into that area. When I lock it on the living room side, it cannot be opened from the other side unless you have the key. When I went to bed at night, I'd lock that door with the idea of being able to control when Brad entered into my morning activities.
It didn't really help that I did, because usually Rachel would want another toy from the playroom and would unlock the door and go out there. Brad ears are sensitive to the drop of a pin. As soon as that door knob was turned, he would hear it and come out of his room. The problem with this-- from my perspective-- is that all of the OTHER children seemed to have cultivated morning QUIET voices and QUIET activities. And amazingly, their people skills seem better at that time of the day. Fewer conflicts. I'm not sure how this evolved. But however it did it meant that I could quietly sip my morning coffee a little longer. No screams. No teasing. No touching.
But like I say, Rachel could NOT ENDURE being shut away from the toys so she'd break the reverie with one simple twist of a knob. And AS SOON AS Brad is introduced into the equation, it changes the whole scenario.
On Tuesday night I tried to really make a believer out of her. DO NOT UNLOCK THAT DOOR. I will unlock it when I'm ready for it to be unlocked.
I learned the first night that Rachel, Zack, and Sam could all play quietly together for much longer if Autumn and Brad were not present. So after the first night, I moved Autumn's sleeping bag to my bedroom. That is where she took her afternoon naps anyway.
On Wednesday morning, I did get a little more quiet time before the questions began. When I was making my coffee and looked out the kitchen window, I noticed the effects of the rain from the day before.
But, still sooner than I wanted, Rachel had to have a toy. And the quiet ended.
"I need my medicine."
Okay. Go get it and I'll give it to you. (He can't open it but he NEVER forgets when he's supposed to have it and he doesn't let me forget either-- which is good.)
"What are we going to have for breakfast?"
"I'm good at cooking eggs."
The girls and Brad are the first to eat. They are always ready as soon as I get to the kitchen. While I'm busying myself in some other way, the girls turned their breakfast into a play time.
They took the table they already had set up to play on in the living room and made it their breakfast table. (At least they remembered Meemuh doesn't allow food on the carpet.)
Sam and Zack linger because they are generally so involved in whatever they are doing that it's hard to tear themselves away. Sam comes next.
Zack does not have a high regard for taking time out of his life to eat. He's the last to come and eats the least.... and I might add, likes food the least. (I wonder if there's a vitamin deficiency that causes a person to have no appetite.)
After I looked out the window and saw that there'd be no playing outside, we continued with our "normal" routine.
These kids can entertain themselves. Rachel has great fun in her imaginary world. She and Autumn play well together. Sam and Zack have their run ins more often than the girls because Sam, being the oldest, really feels like his ideas are best and that he should be able to control what goes on. That frustrates Zack, especially when he wants some "in charge" time himself. But it generally works itself out because Zack does respect Sam's opinions and likes his ideas much of the time so he often just lets Sam be "the boss". Sam's greatest incentive to being willing to compromise is rooted in his desire to always have someone watch what he's doing. He has to bow and bend to some extent or his "audience" goes off to read a book, play a game on my phone, or build with Lego.
Brad listened to the 2008 DVD of the Bible School program.
And the girls "stole" the computer chair and made it their game plan.
For lunch we had biscuits, scrambled eggs, and sausage.
I was determined to not go back to the store and our supply of milk had gotten so low, they would not have all been able to have some, so what could I do but give them KOOL-AID with their lunch? (I'm still amused every time I hear them ask: What's Kool-aid?) Much to Jeni and Jef's credit, these kids drink WATER. Water is what I should have given them with their lunch, but (to be honest) I wanted to get rid of the Kool-aid I had made up the day before.
"I'm sitting with my favorite uncle tonight."
"I sing good. Am I going to get to go up and sing tonight"
"I can read. I'll be the reader."
"I love young people's."
"I'll have the lesson. "
"I guess I need to take my shower now so I can go to church and play. I play at my church."
No, Brad. You are not going to sing tonight.
No, Brad. You are not going to read for the minister tonight.
No. Brad. You are not going to have a special; you are not going to play. And you don't have to take a shower yet. We don't go to church until tonight.
"What time does your church start?"
Seven
"My church starts at six."
"What are we going to eat for supper?"
We just finished lunch, Brad.
"Let me tell you the reason we’re going home today. Because my brother keeps interrupting me while I’m trying to sing a song. I’m just a little bit frustrated. So my question is: Who’s going to take a shower first?"
Not too long after we'd finished our lunch, I got a call from Jef. He wanted to let me know that they would soon be leaving Orlando and expected to be back in Huntsville by 5. They would come straight to get the kids so he wanted me to know that I would not have to get them ready for church.
That means I didn't have to figure out clothes, iron clothes, give baths, make sure no one got their supper on their church clothes.... line up all the stuff we'd take with us....
And it meant...
The kids could go play in the creek. If they were wet and muddy, what did it matter? They were going home. I -- contrary to my nature-- did spend a lot of time telling them to not get their shoes wet. It didn't help, but I tried. Finally, they took their shoes OFF, but I guess that wasn't soon enough because one of the first things Jeni noticed when she got here was that they had WET SHOES.
Oh, well. Sorry about that. But what's a wet shoe compared to "fishing" in the creek.
While they "fished", I packed up all their clothes. If I would have been a GREAT grandmother, I would have washed all the dirty clothes. But, I'm not great. I put the dirty clothes or worn clothes in a laundry basket and sent them home with Mom.
Then I dug out enough stuff to make them chili for supper and fixed that. Before they had time to all come and eat, Jef and Jeni arrived.
They brought me a VERY SPECIAL present. If you know me very well, you know why they thought this was appropriate for me.
Then they all piled into their vehicles and left. I had time to do my devotions before going to church. Somehow I managed to not get that done while Autumn was napping in the afternoon.
Once again church was wonderful. Bro. Moncrief has been a great blessing. And his messages are challenging. I'm glad I'm not going to have to miss any. After all REVIVAL was THE reason I put in for vacation for this week.




No comments:
Post a Comment