Wednesday, October 27, 2010

It's Been Interesting

I was off on Tuesday BECAUSE...

I had told my co I had a dental appointment in the morning.  I had expected to be scheduled to close, but since I had to have a day off during the week, I guess she figured that was just as good as any.

So I had a tooth filled.  And I set up an appointment to get three crowns on my next visit... that would be December.   That is going to cost me around a thousand dollars, even with dental insurance.

(I'm trying to get all my dental work caught up before I reach retirement age.... or lose my job for some other reason.)

I had agreed to come in and keep Jeni's girls (and Brad) while she went to the Social Security office.

Things got all turned around because of the weather.   The boys were going to be leaving school early.   As a matter of fact, schools all over North Alabama were letting out early in anticipation of the coming tornadic   (spell check doesn't think that's a word) activity.

She went to the Social Security office only to be put off again because the only person who can help her was gone for the day. 

But she had been hurting and wanted to go to a chiropractor.   So I took the girls and went back to Harvest.  I was going to bring them back to Morgan City to be baby sat because of Jeni's doula training.  (I think.) 

I had just left Harvest and turned on the radio to check on the weather and found out that I was just minutes ahead of the tornado activity.   And Harvest was pinpointed as the area it was coming through.  As a matter of fact, as I listened, I was hearing the announcer tell everyone who was in the area of roads I HAD JUST LEFT BEHIND ME a FEW minutes before to TAKE COVER.  Stop your car and find shelter.  A car is a dangerous place to be.  These winds are strong and can pick up a car and toss it even if there's no tornado.

I called back and told Jef that he needed to turn on the radio and that I had just exited the area that was being threatened.  

I came on home to Morgan City and decided to stop at Food-4-Less to buy more milk.  When I got out of my car at the grocery store, I heard loud speaker annoucements. 

"TAKE SHELTER IMMEDIATELY."  The loudspeakers were saying other things too but that was what I understood.   I was walking into the store and a clerk was outside.  I asked "What's going on?"  She said, a tornado is supposed to be coming through Union Hill (an  area 4 miles west) right now.

STRANGELY, the radio station I was listening to that was giving the coverage about what was happening NORTH of Huntsville did not even mention what was going on South of Huntsville and that station is located up here on Brindlee Mountain. 

I've had to readjust my normal routine to accommodate taking care of kids, getting them fed, into bed, up again, fed... make sure the sitter was here... so I could leave for work.  Figure out what they'd eat while I was gone, bring home supper and get us all ready for church. 

They are all bedded down for another night at my house.  The sitter arrives again tomorrow at seven because I have to at work at eight.

Rachel does not like being away from her mom and daddy at night.   She can't talk about it or she would cry.  I stay away from the subject so she won't.  Autumn could care less.   Brad doesn't mind either.

Off to bed.
Have to get up early tomorrow.

No comments: