Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Today Needs to NOT Be A Lazy Day

There is so much I need to get done today, that I really just ought to turn this computer off.

Why would that be necessary?

Because if I sit down here for ANY reason, I forget what it was and get interested in other things.

On Saturday, I was going to spend some time organizing in my bedroom and decided I'd play a segment of "This American Life" while I was doing it.  (I happen to enjoy most of those.)  I sat down to locate it and totally forgot what I was up to.   I don't know how long it was before I remembered.

I did end up getting my bedroom more organized but not as soon as I had planned.

I read my Bible every day on the computer.  Maybe for me that is not a good idea.   Because I am so easily distracted.  Actually, that is why I'm here right now.  Is reading my Bible what I'm doing?  NO.


You'll never understand why I'm like I am unless you too have problems with (what Josh thinks is just a made up excuse for undisciplined behaviors) A.D.D.  (He would call it A.D.L.D.  Attention Deficit caused by Lack of Discipline.  He is very touchy that it's called a "disorder".)

I don't feel the same.  I believe we can have a genetic make up that can give us a tendency to be more one way than another.  I don't believe that excuses sin--whether it's alcoholism or any other problem that may result-- but I do believe there are some 'problems' that some people have to deal with more than others because of their genetic make up.   I suppose calling it a disorder does tend to give the idea that it can't be helped and therefore should be excused.  But I don't excuse sin. And even when it's not sin, knowing you are made up a certain way can cause you to incorporate "coping mechanisms" into your life that other people might not need.  For example, I know I can't count on myself to remember, so I take steps to do things to make me remember what is important for me to remember.

I've also learned that if I can establish a good habit of doing some things, that the habit will help me accomplish what I need to in spite of  my "inattention".

NOW, I'm going to read my Bible.

No comments: