Sunday, September 26, 2010

Extended vacation

I found out from a co-worker that I don't go back to work until 1 on Tuesday.

WOW!

That means that this is the first time in four years that I have not done the order for scrapbooking.   That is when I took over that department.   Every vacation I've taken since I had it, I've made sure I got my order done the week before I left and, because we order on Mondays, I got back on the Monday after and ordered for the week I was back.

The new co-manager decided to schedule me off on Monday and have someone else order my department.

I couldn't be any happier about who ordered.   One of our most competent workers.   She had been  out on FMLA because of a medical problem and while she was out they hired someone else to do her department.  She's back now and they are using her wherever she is needed.   So, the week of my vacation she has put out my freight and did my order.   I'm happy with that.

Over all, all the years that I've had this department by myself, I have not minded.   But one reason I have been okay with it has been because management recognized that it's a large department and that I would not be done as quickly doing my order or getting my freight out as some other departments.   They accepted that a department with over 8000 items takes more time to care for than one with 2000-4000 items.

But that's changed in the last year.   NOW the emphasis is on doing everything faster and faster and faster and it's as though no department is any different from any other.   It has been frustrating to me.   I finally told my both my managers, "If you send me out the door because you think I'm slow, I don't want to come in here and find that you had to put TWO people in my department to get the work done, because if I had just a little bit of help, I could get it done faster."

The big issue with me has been having to stay late on Wednesdays to get freight out because the DM wants us to get all our freight out the same day it comes in.... and ours comes in on Wednesday.    I've always been able to get my freight out in a timely way but I haven't always got it out in one day.

Anyway, when this employee who was out on FMLA was "replaced" by another hiree,  I began right then saying, "When C comes back, you need to let her help in crafts and scrapbooking."   (The person in crafts really needed help too.)  They didn't say they would.  And when she did come back, the first week she took care of another department where someone was on vacation and the second week she  put out freight and did a set in yet another department.  But while I was gone, she worked in my area.

On the home front:
Back from campmeeting, I went out to the large storage building behind my house and saw that the roof is falling in (inside).   My boys have been clamoring to "burn it down" for a long time but there's so much stuff that has been stored there by first one and then another.... and also by me, that I'd have to first clean it out.

I am going to have to get around to that because soon the whole thing is going to fall in on itself.   That a "heavy, heavy hangs over my head" daunting task that I have facing me.

But, the fact that I have tomorrow off may give me a start on doing something about some of what is there to do anyway.  I hope I don't lose my zeal because the job is not going to do itself.

If I was a handy man, I'd try to tear it down and salvage some of the lumber to rebuild me a storage shed for my lawn mower and tools and such... but I am NOT a handy man... nor are my boys. 

No comments: