Too much caffeine.
Naps in the daytime.
Hot or spicy food for supper of before bed snack.
Something I'm worrying about-- but trying not to.
Too tired from over work-- like a HUGE freight day that took a toll on my body.
Pain-- from various injuries I've incurred down through the years.
ALL OF THOSE things have been guilty of causing me to have a poor night's sleep. Generally any of them will only keep me awake 2 or 3 hours before I can go off to sleep and get 4 or 5 hours sleep before having to go off to work.
But last night I could NOT go to sleep and I could find nothing to blame it on.
- I had only ONE cup of coffee all day.
- I had not eaten hot or spicy food.
- I was concerned about some things but nothing was really pressing upon my mind. ( I do have to rein in my thinking lots of times when I go to bed because, seemingly, that is when things I don't even think of to do when I'm awake just POP into my mind and I think, "Oh, my, I need to get that done!")
- I definitely was not too tired. Order day is almost the opposite of freight day. My biggest handicap on order day is that I stand so (relatively) still all day that it affects my mobility.
- And thankfully, I give God praise and appreciate the prayers of the saints for this, I can actually go to bed at night now and sleep in any position I want to without having to readjust because I'm putting a strain on some injured area. (This is such a blessing!)
I was ready for bed last night EARLY on because I feel like I might be fighting off a sore throat and I wanted to get PLENTY of rest to help my body fight. I have a very good immune system, but when things come at me, I try to work with it and give it the "tools" it needs to do the job-- rest, plenty of fluids...that kind of thing.
So, I went to bed what I would call "early" (for me) considering I was going to be off from work today.
And I lay there tossin' and turnin'....tossin' and turnin'....tossin' and turnin'....tossin' and turnin'....tossin' and turnin'....tossin' and turnin'....tossin' and turnin'....tossin' and turnin'....tossin' and turnin'....until...
well, the last time I looked to see the time it was 4:30AM.
Sometime after that I went to sleep, but I woke up a little after seven. I was not willing to face the day on three hours sleep, so I stayed right there and went back to sleep until some time after nine.
This in NOT the first time this has happened to me. It seems to be a recurring tendency. One I have no way of figuring out the answer to. All the things that I think of that could cause the sleeplessness do not apply.

Anyway, I'm glad I can take a nap today if I need it.
********
I might have a clue.
I am down FOUR POUNDS today from what I was yesterday. That had to be fluid loss.
That's my "clue".
I'm thinking that the sleep loss must be some kind of hormonal "issue". The reason I'm jumping to that conclusion is because yesterday -- from the onset-- I was having some "issues" with feelings. I was feeling EXTREMELY ANGRY over the stupidest stuff. Of course, I was not allowing the anger to stick around and "build a nest" but still, I was having to deal with it over so many insignificant things that I wondered if I was having some kind of hormonal problem anyway.
I didn't connect all that with my "tossin' and turnin'" until I checked out my weight awhile ago. DOWN four pounds with NO change in eating, no effort... It HAD TO BE FLUID. So, it's my GUESS that excessive fluid can cause sleep problems. (This fits into my previous encounter with this problem. Although I can't remember for sure that I had fluid retention, I do know that from time to time--NOT very often-- I have had to deal with that issue.)
I'll have to google that and see what I find....
.




1 comment:
Fluid loss may be the clue.
If you body has lost fluid then that means there is less fluid (duh) for the same amount of body processes.
Which means that you should drink more water more frequently to lubricate those body processes.
I suggest that if you cannot sleep, get up and drink about a half glass of milk.
Follow that by at least a half glass of water.
Your sleep problems may be related to being dehydrated.
The milk contains a protein (can't remember which one just now...) that helps your brain relax.
Post a Comment