Remember my Figure This One Out post? Well, letting people go and cutting many others back to part time is still not getting the job done of "making payroll". So, for June, full time employees are being cut back to 32 hours. Like I said before, the initial cut in hours took my pay down lower than what I was making BEFORE the raise. This cuts us even further.
If all goes well, we will get some of our time back in July. I think this all has to average out over the whole quarter and July begins a new one. If it doesn't take care of the problem-- Who knows? We may end up losing some more folks....
It's too bad they decided to give us this "blessing" when things are going so horribly in the economy already. But I've thrown thoughts of retirement out the window anyway. Who knows what's ahead for us with the changes that are being made by our government. I know one thing. It's not the time for me to be thinking of giving up a job I like even if my hours are cut or even if I am sixty-three.
*****
I did some more thinking about this issue and FINALLY realized that those of us who have been around the longest are the only ones who are being affected adversely by this raise. Those just in off the street or who had not been with the company long enough to make up to $8 an hour are still getting more than they were before. Since I have no way of knowing how much anyone made before the raise, I don't know how many people are actually taking a cut now as opposed to still making more than they did before. The minimum wage increases to 7.25 just this year; in 2008 it was 6.55. Anyone making less than $8 an hour is still better off than they were before the raise even with 32 hours. (I suppose that's my "reward" for sticking around so long--nine years without missing a day. I'm glad it's not hard for me to come up with MANY other good reasons why I want THIS job.)
.




No comments:
Post a Comment