at least it was yesterday.
And so strange.
The folks at work were worrying about whether they'd make it home. One lives on Monte Sano Mountain. A number of others live over the mountain with Cecil Ashburn as their way of getting there. And then there were those of us who had to cross the river bridge.
When it's icy the bridge freezes over quickly (as do overpasses, but they just close those and people use the service roads). There were reports of "several" wrecks on the bridge and that, as a result it had been closed. I figured that would only be a temporary problem as they would surely sand the bridge by the time I needed to get across, but my concern was 'Will I be able to make it up Brindlee Mountain?'
I left as soon as I learned the bridge had been sanded-- somewhat over an hour before I was supposed to leave. The parking lot was wet, but not at all icy. But when I got to my car, it was TOTALLY iced over. I had to sit there for 15 or more minutes waiting for the defroster to heat up so the windows would clear.
After they were cleared, I headed home. The roads were fine. It took awhile to get across the bridge because the traffic was lined up and a sand truck -- or something-- at the front was leading the way preventing ANYONE-- even the stupid people-- from going over 5mph as we crossed.
Once over, the roads were fine. Nothing changed until two-thirds of the way up the mountain. Then it looked like it might be icy, but it had been sanded. I really didn't see anything that looked icy until I got on my own road and got out at the mailbox... AND almost fell down because there was a thin sheet of ice covering the road.
This morning all is well. It over 50 degrees outside. Really strange how it changed so quickly.
I'm going into work an hour earlier to make up for the hour I lost yesterday.
7 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment