.
Even though our "good visit" from the higher was pretty much deemed a "set-up", it still managed to take the pressure off of our manager and co-manager. They were NOT having to rush around with their yellow pads checking off all the things they must do TODAY in order to please the powers that be. They were not wondering when there would be a return visit to be checked up on that all the dust bunnies were gone, the glitter off the bases, the ledges dusted....
I wish I was totally exaggerating. Sadly, I'm not.
Being left without yellow legal pads to govern their days, they actually could apply themselves more thoroughly to what was most important and continue the condensing of seasonal.
By the way, in case you had no clue, there is NOTHING MORE IMPORTANT IN LIFE right now than condensing seasonal. There's nothing more important in life than getting garden out of the stockroom.
Customers move over! Here we come with another cart. Gotta get this stuff moved or our jobs may be out the window.
Oh, you mean you were looking at that. Sorry, we've got to move it over here.
Anyway, after the visit on Friday, the yellow pads were laid down and the real most important work to be done was done. And besides that the stress level was reduced immeasurably.
My "bad day" was Thursday. It was mainly a result of being "stuck on" the registers for too long a time.
Let me explain that it's not the total time on the registers that bothers me; it's the time without a break. Just getting to walk to the back and then being called back again, takes care of that issue. But on Thursday, I was called up and the other people who were back ups would "cut and run" and the register I was assigned happened to be on the Christmas side of the store.
Strangely enough, people do not want to walk a few steps over to another register. They'd rather stay in a longer line. So my line would be long while those assigned registers on the other side might actually end up with NO customer in line. Instead of calling for someone to come over, they'd leave... which, in effect, had mine back up even more.
BUT THE MAIN ISSUE WAS NOT how long the line was, but that I was not getting out of my "hole". I was not getting to move. And that standing still for so long is what "kills me". And, it's actually possible that another reason it affected me so badly on Thursday was because it was at the end of an already long day for me. I had come in early to help in seasonal and I had done that most of the morning. But in the afternoon, I got commandeered for register duty and I didn't get my needed walk-aways.
Back to Friday and Saturday.
Friday, I was still in recovery. Even a good night's sleep didn't completely solve my leg issues. But, as the day progressed, I felt better. And it was a short day for me.
I left at three. Tim picked me up (in my car) and I took him home. Then I went home and prepared for the arrival of grandkids. They came around six.
When I went back into work on Saturday, I was able to work on my order for almost
an hour and a half before being called back to the front. Then I got another break, because my lunch was scheduled an hour and a half later. After that, I was pretty much left to put out returns and recover the store, which both involve walking all around.
At the end of the day, I realized I had had a very good day. I really didn't feel that tired at all. I had a couple people tell me I did, but I really felt fine.
We ended up with sales so high at the end of yesterday that the co-manager was wondering how in the world we'd ever top them next year. I thought that was kind of funny that she'd think that far ahead. Evidently those comparisons carry a lot of weight because at the end of every day they have to always check to see how the day's sales compared with the same day last year. (It think it's by days and not dates. For example, the day after Thanks giving is compared to the day after Thanksgiving regardless of the date.)
Anyway, I had a good day and a very good night's rest and NOW I get to go to church and be with the saints.




No comments:
Post a Comment