Sunday, December 26, 2010

Day After Christmas (Sunday)

This has been a very full week for me...
as are all weeks leading up to Christmas.



Things get hectic at work.
Actually, considering we're supposed to be having a slow economy, I was surprised at just how busy we were at work.  BUT, having said that, I must balance it out with the consideration that there just were NOT enough seasonal cashiers hired.   There were excuses given for that, but whatever the reasons, we did not have enough front end help to take care of the crowds.  That meant the floor people had to be pulled off the floor to cashier.


It almost got to be laughable.


Regular cashiers calling for price checks or someone from some department to come to the front to answer a question, and those of us who were the department people-- ON THE REGISTER-- would just look at each other and roll our eyes, like "Who do they think is out there to do a price check or help them out in any way?  NOT."    


And when the phone calls would come in for  your department, just what do you do?   You're waiting on someone who has taken the time TO COME INTO YOUR STORE and has actually picked out merchandise to buy and is expecting you to check them out as expediently as possible and you're supposed to take a call from a POSSIBLE customer, who may just want to have you be their personal concierge and check out how many of a list of items that you have in stock and what the cost of each is and oh, by the way, let me fill you in on what I'm having to do with all this stuff and that I've waited to the last minute to find it?  I think not.   I don't even try to get those calls UNLESS I can take them AFTER I've finished with one customer who is still trying to put their card away and gather up their stuff... before the next one steps up for me to check them out.


Anyway, all that is over now.   What's left, thankfully I'm not authorized to do anymore:  i.e., returns.  (Certain people are designated for that now-- REGULAR cashiers.)


I was trying to work diligently to fit all my shopping, gift wrapping, and such like into the few hours here and there that I had, NOT PLANNING to be hit by a bug that sapped all my energy.  

On Thursday before going into work, I went back to the dentist and got my crowns put on that they had "fitted" me for on the 14th. (That was the most expensive Christmas "present" I'll ever get.. and I gave it to myself. It will be more than a December present. I'll be paying on that one for awhile.)

But I made it through.   And, even though I didn't get everything wrapped that I wanted to, I threw it all in my car anyway before I left for work on Friday.  I was to go straight to Jeni's after work.   And I did.


We had a get together with a Bro. David and Sis Faith and the twins, and Sister Dorothy (David's mom) on Friday evening.   Then it was off to bed.   It was decided I'd get Brad's bed this time instead of  Sam's and Zack's.   That didn't work well for me.  I didn't have the room nor the pillows to get myself stretched out and supported like I have to.  It didn't help I'm sure that I had a cup of coffee after I got there from work.   But between the caffeine and the lack of being able to support my back and knees and shoulder, I ended up not sleeping.   I finally went to the couch, where I still lay awake for a long, long time.  


I hated it that I didn't sleep any better because I had wanted to be a big help to Jeni in the morning but my get up and go didn't show up and I was just kind of there and no help at all. And then there was the fact that I still had stuff to wrap.    


And of course, the fact that it snowed distracted all of us from doing what we might have routinely done otherwise.


The weather hindered some of the family from coming.  Others had to work.  So we didn't have a huge showing of folks, but that probably kept Jeni from feeling overwhelmed and perhaps, made her more forgiving toward me for NOT being more helpful.   I hope.


I came home about three, almost went to sleep at the wheel less than a mile from home, but the crunching sound of my tires hitting the snow on the shoulder of the road brought me out of my stupor.  I went to bed and slept a couple hours as soon as I got home.


More snow came down during the night and it's still snowing, so church was cancelled.






I'm not glad to not go to church, but it will give me some time that I didn't have... and wondered how I'd manage... to get ready for my Fellowship Meeting company. 


Tonight is the visitation for Sister Carolyn Quillin and her funeral is tomorrow morning.  


I go into work at twelve.  Actually, I'll go in after the funeral.  


I go in at twelve on Tuesday as well.  Tuesday morning would have been my only time to get ready for company as I will be working a long day on Wednesday and until five on Thursday.  Church starts at six on Thursday. 


So, I need to get up and get busy.  


But first, breakfast.  I wish I could remember how my mother made the sauce she used to put over the "suet pudding" she made for my dad at Christmas time.   I'm sure it had vinegar in it.  It was tangy.

Maybe something like this one from Cooks.com

2 tbsp. butter
3/4 c. water
3/4 c. sugar (may use brown sugar)
1/4 c. vinegar
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tbsp. cornstarch
Cook together butter, water, sugar and vinegar. Mix 1 teaspoon cinnamon and cornstarch and dissolve in a little water. Add to hot mixture and cook until clear. If not thick enough, add more cornstarch water.
 
I have some fruit cake I'd like to try it on.

It kept on snowing and the visitation got delayed until tomorrow, so I've actually spent this whole day at home relaxing and trying to catch up on some housekeeping that I've sorely neglected for the last couple weeks.

No comments: