Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Christmas Shopping

.
This year I did better.


It seems that November, December and January are about as filled up for me as time can be.


Thanksgiving worked out well for me this year because I was given Wednesday as my day off before Thanksgiving.  That helped.


My computer problems didn't, but in spite of them, I managed to get my things ready for our dinner by one o'clock on Thursday. 


Of course, Friday and Saturday are not days people who work in retail can expect to get off.  At least not where I work.  


Last week was pretty hectic too.  And I'm convinced we have not hired the normal number of cashiers that we usually do to handle the Christmas rush... which means we who work the floor have to become the cashiers.    


It has always been the case that we are on call when lines get long and that happens often during this season, but it's NOT normal to spend a good part of our day cashiering.  


I decided on Monday that, if I'm going to be a cashier, I might as well forget about trying to do my department too so when I was ordering, I ordered with the thought in mind that I'd probably not have enough time to get out much.  So I just ordered what I was OUT of at the time of the order (for the most part).   That's not how to stay stocked up so that you will have what your customers need, but someone was short-sighted when they decided to not get us enough cashiers for the season.




I ordered on Monday and I was OFF FROM WORK on Tuesday, and --- by my calculations-- I figured this may be the only full day I'd have to do Christmas shopping so I planned to take the whole day and do it.


I did start my day off with devotions before setting out.  And I also started off with the attitude that I was NOT IN A HURRY so I'd just amble through the day.  And, on my way into town, I made another decision.  I was going to give the side line businesses an opportunity.  I checked out a lot of stores that I not been in before.  


And then, some more popular ones.   But I stayed away from the malls completely.  


I got quite a bit done by the time I got a call from Tim that he'd like to use my car to go see Caleb in some kind of school activity.   The radiator had gone out on their car this morning and all he had left was his truck, which would  the family would not fit into for this venture.


So, I came on home.  Stopped and bought me a cook-at-home pizza from Food-4-Less





and, after enjoying it, I  have relaxed this evening.    Played a game of Sudoku, which makes me very sleepy. 


Believe I will now go to bed with a magazine and perhaps go to sleep early.


It's back to work tomorrow.

No comments: