Sunday, August 1, 2010

Lining Up My Ducks

Fast Day Wednesday.
Since I can't fast on Wednesday because of freight day, I do it from after lunch on Sunday until mid-day on Monday.

Also on Monday, I must hurry up and get my order finished.... for TWO REASONS this week.
  • One, the order is supposed to be in ASAP--by noon if possible.
  • Two, a. I have this huge reset to do and to prepare for it I have almost a dozen totes full to the brim of new merchandise that needs to be sorted, priced and ready to go up as the set progresses. b.  I have pages and pages of deletes sent with the set of merchandise that I need to pull and mark down to get out of the way for the new stuff to be put in place and, along with that, I have August's Deletes which will have me pulling and marking down even more merchandise that will need to be gotten out of the way.
So I need to get that order done as quickly as possible so I can get started on this other stuff.

On Monday night, I will go to church at Westlawn... if nothing unexpected prevents that.

On Tuesday, I'm off from work, but want to go to the Social Security office and check on some stuff.

And afterwards, I think my boss has agreed for me to work on my re-set for a few hours, but "NO overtime."   I can work on it  and have no overtime because ever since they gave us all raises our hours have been cut back to about 35 a week.

And, on Tuesday I need to look for a Washer and Drier, since my brother has so generously offered to get one for me.... and because I have a huge pile of towels that I used to sop up the "flood" that I just threw over a line outdoors to drip dry... awaiting a future time to wash them and dry them and get them back in usable condition.

And on Tuesday, I need to do some more "organizing" on my reset so if I have help they will be able to readily have available the paper work and labels that are needed for any section they might choose to do.

Wednesday is freight day.   Ah.  Freight Day.  But I think my order is going to be light enough this week that I should have no problem getting to church on time.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday I will doing my best to get as much of that reset done as possible.    That is going to be the chief thing occupying my mind until it is done.   It's "due" August 16.... which means they are giving me two weeks.    No way would I be able to do it all in two weeks if I had to continue my normal schedule-- which involves being available to cover fabrics when the fabric or needlework person is not there, and recovering and helping customers from Art all the way around through Cards and Party/Candles after supper (when I'm scheduled for evenings), and being on call to the register as a back up cashier.

I find that one thought pattern I have to war against is thinking that the cashiers have nothing better to do than to call me to the front at their whim (very often unnecessarily) .   In the past that  thought may have had some credibility, but our new management team is actually making sure that the cashiers get in on the work that needs to be done--when there are not customers to check out.   In the past it has been  very frustrating for me to be so busy, having so much to get done,  and have them standing idly around and then call me up there WHEN I WAS NOT NEEDED or was scheduled to be elsewhere-- which they could tell IF THEY WOULD LOOK at the schedule.

At least, I've already mailed Kali's birthday card and she already has it... so I don't have to line that up with my other ducks.

Oh, Tim called.... his was the message that woke me up this afternoon... to let me know a hose (or something) had come loose or dry rotted on my lawn mower and needed to replaced or all the gas would run out.     (And I really need to get that taken care of so I can get my back yard mowed.)

QUACK.  QUACK. QUACK.

No comments: