Tuesday, November 4, 2008

What If?

Heard on the radio:

Introduction: With the U.S. Presidential election just around the corner, it could be you're worried about the road that America is heading down and what that will mean for churches in America. But if you ask yourself if God is worried about it, [be reminded] that God is not wringing His hands.....

"What if we had our every way in Washington? What if evangelical counsel was the only accepted counsel to the leadership where every piece of legislation we cared about passed in our favor? Would we wipe the sweat off our brow? Is that our intention? Is that our purpose? I believe the church today at large would wipe the sweat off its brow. We are sweating over good things but the wrong cause."
Quoted from a message by Stephen Davey aired on October 29, entitled Missing the Mark.

There's a program I listen to in the mornings when I'm driving into work. I listen, in spite of the fact that this man is Southern Baptist, because he has a STRONG way of presenting many righteous principles. (Strangely, he doesn't believe we can live free from sin but he preaches to do that. I suppose he'd be one of those ministers that we've often heard people say is like theirs: "Our minister preaches what ya'll preach." Of course, the difference is discovered over time when he eventually points out that everyone has to sin.)

But anyway, he has a strong way of presenting many righteous principles.

Last week, he took time out to preach a series on the role of the church in government. I didn't hear all of it because I generally only listen to him when I'm driving into work. ( He's on from 7:30 to 8--my driving time).

But his thoughts about the results of our election today actually comforted me. He made the point that Christianity has thrived when the government actually opposed what they stood for.

Of course, our present concern is not that we CAN'T stand when government begins to encroach upon our freedoms to teach and preach and stand for righteousness. Our concern is how it is going to change our lives and make them more difficult when government begins to take greater control of every aspect of our lives.


GO VOTE!

Even if you are not in a swing state....


After we've done all we can, we stand.....

No comments: