Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sweatshirt cardigan

I've tried for the longest to find some button up sweat shirt type cardigans. The temperature control at my work place is unbelievably erratic. If I wear long sleeves, I am "burning up" much of the time. If I wear short sleeves--this time of the year when it's getting cold-- I "freeze" sometimes.

The solution is a casual, long sleeve cardigan that I can take off when I'm hot and put back on when I'm cold. But, they just aren't out there when I am.

I don't like the zippered ones. And I don't like the "hoodies". They look like outdoor attire to me.

I admit, I don't do much shopping at all. Hobby Lobby is about the extent of my retail experience except for our local Dollar General and Food-4-Less. When I have to, I go to Wal-mart. ( "Have to" meaning the other two places don't have what I'm looking for. )

Anyway, I found the solution to my problem at Make Stuff.


Here is what one person did:

Transform a Sweatshirt into a Jacket or Cardigan!

An easy, no-sew sewing project!

  • Measure to the middle of the front of the sweatshirt (on the neck band and at the bottom band).
  • Draw a line with a tailor's marker from bottom to top, and then cut up that line to make the opening in the front.
  • Fold over the (new) ragged, cut edges 1/2 inch on each side, and glue them down to the "body" with Aleen's "O.K. To Wash It" fabric glue.
  • Wait a couple of days for it to "cure" and then apply your appliques and decorations on the rest of the newly created "cardigan".
  • I found that a sweatshirt a size larger than you'd normally wear as a shirt works the best for cardigans.

This proved to be a really fun and easy project for me. Hope it is for you too!
Contributed by Diana O'byrne

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you make it yet? You'll have to post a picture of it. =)