One of the kids had a book they left lying in the living room. I'm not sure if it was theirs or mine, but it was called The Tree of Freedom.
It's a Newbery Honor book, probably for young readers. Anyway, I started reading it and found that I really enjoyed it. For one thing, it was "light reading" and I'm not into anything with much depth as tired as I am at the end of the day. But this book told about a young girl whose family moved into the Kentucky during the time the colonies decided they wanted to break away from British rule. It was very interesting to me.
She told about how they settled the land and built their home. And about their fear of Indians scalping them. And about those who tried to "steal" their claim to the land.
It was well written and gave a lot of insight into what it would have been like to be a young girl --who couldn't even read, by the way-- going with her family to settle the Kentucky frontier land.
After reading it, I decided I might just make a trip to the Friends of the Library and see if I could find me some other Newbery books for young readers. It was good reading... and, like I say, easily read.
It would be nice to tuck myself in with a good book when the weather starts getting cooler.
7 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment