Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Feet and Legs Are Still "Tingling" from Yesterday

I went into work at eight and immediately began hauling freight to the floor.  


The note on the day's schedule said:  "Stay until your freight is finished!!"   So I worked diligently all day to get my freight out.


One blessing of the day was that I was not called to the registers even one time!! I can't imagine how that came about.


I took a break at about 11 and ate a package of peanuts and drank some water.   My peanut butter sandwich was wearing thin.   That's my breakfast of choice for freight days because I'm always pushed to work, work, work, and often on freight days, I don't take a morning break.  I've learned that a peanut butter sandwich has more staying power than anything else I eat and I really need that on freight days.  

 When I checked the schedule, I saw that I was not going to have lunch until 12:30 and since I'm usually scheduled for 12, I knew my tummy would be hollering at me if I didn't give it a little something to nibble on  to make up for the extra wait.  Even peanut butter is overruled by a regular eating time schedule.   The tummy starts asking for food at the time it's used to getting it.


We get 30 minutes for lunch.   So by one o'clock I was back at it.  I worked until almost four before I took another break.   I decided if I was going to make it until the end of the day-- which by then I knew I'd have to do if I came anywhere close to getting all my freight out-- I'd better fill up on carbohydrates.  


So I ate a bag of popcorn (mini), an apple, and ate two miniature Baby Ruths.  AND I drank another bottle of water.


And went back to putting out freight.   At 8:40 the manager said, "Let's get out of here."  


I still had half a buggy of paper to get out, but everything else was done.   Of course, that includes taking all empty totes, broken down boxes, and trash to the back and disposing of it.     Last thing I did before clocking out was to push seven empty buggies to the front.  I put my freight in the buggies as I price it.  


When I work out my freight, I try to do it in such a way that I'm "working clean" and getting rid of the stuff that affects the flow of customer traffic.


I work out my boxed stuff first and get rid of the broken down boxes.   Then I price and put out the bulky stuff.   I go through the totes and separate out all the pre-priced stuff.  (Hope never dies that I might get sent some help and if I do I want there to be plenty of stuff ready for that person to put out.   However, it's been a LONG time since I've been given any help.)  Then I'm left with totes of small stuff that has to be priced-- stickers, 3-D embellishments, rub-ons, pens, ink pads, adhesives, envelopes, clear stamps, Tim Holtz products, rubber stamps,  Quickutz, Cuttlebug, Cricut, and Spellbinder die cut products, tools, and page kits, paper pads, and such like.  


Anyway, I was on my feet, a lot of the time standing in one spot pricing, for twelve hours.   That standing still is harder on my legs and feet than walking around is.   I really don't get that tired.  I'm glad of that.  But my feet and legs begin to ache and tingle.  And there is still some of that left this morning even after a good night's sleep.


I have to go back in this afternoon and tomorrow is my day to have company for dinner so whatever I do to get ready for them, I'm going to have to do this morning.   I must get up and start.

No comments: