An electrical storm that came through -- quite quickly actually-- and took out the modem on my dsl Monday evening. Of course, I didn't know that was what happened. I just knew I couldn't get online. Josh came by on Tuesday evening after choir practice and took a look at it. Then he called the tech support number on the modem. They decided after walking him through a few maneuvers that the problem was probably an in the house line issue.
Since I worked on Wednesday and on Thursday, today was the first day a service person could get into my house to check out the problem. As it turned out, he-- the service person-- showed up at a couple or so minutes after 8 a.m. It didnt' take him long to figure out that I had a need for a new modem, which he installed.
So....I have my encyclopedia back... my dictionary.... my news.... my email.... my banking and bill paying options.... my blog.... and all the other things that I used the online resources for.
I missed google the most. I'm so used to running to my computer with every question that comes to my mind and looking up answers that it was somewhat of a "withdrawal" to not be able to do that. I mean how can I check out whether it's really true that apartame has been found to be more for my ill than for my good, if I can't google for the information? (This was a subject in the breakroom yesterday.)
But I'm back.
I'll have to say, after not seeing all the horrible news from all over the country and the world for three days, it was not something I welcomed. I am becoming more and more of the persuasion that the bad news I expose myself to needs to be from this local area only. Why do I need to know that seven people got killed in a Grand Rapids shooting spree? How is that going to improve my life one iota?? And how is it going to help me to find out how outraged the public is that Casey Anthony was not convicted. Just think of all the horrible crimes and accidents I missed out on finding out about for the last four days-- because, of course, I have no T.V. to fill in the details I did not get from online news. Reading the news these days is like reenactment of T.V. reality shows at the newspaper level. Whatever is sensational is what seems to be the going news story.
Maybe I should be using my search capabilities to find news that is more positive.
I was glad the service man came early because I've had a tire that has been losing air and I wanted to get it fixed. So, soon after he left, I went to Walmart and got that taken care of, plus buying what I'll need for my lunches for the next two weeks. (This was payday so I was trying to figure how to get through the two weeks until next payday.)
It had rained so I'll postpone my yard mowing until in the morning. Then later I'll be off to Brad's seventeenth birthday celebration. Amazing that he is 17.
7 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment