Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Double Checking Is a Good Thing

I guess I was tired when I got Felicia's message last night that said, Tim would drive the car and she would be bringing Felisia to Bible School, meaning I wouldn't have to pick her up.


I didn't sleep well last night so I was just trying to wake up.  I was letting the other three sleep as long as possible when it came to me that I better double check with Felicia.  Something could have happened in the middle of the night that kept Tim from driving his "new" car.


When I called, I asked if she was still going to be able to bring Felisia.


"Didn't you get my message?"


Did you send me another one after the one I responded OK to?


"No"


I thought you said you WOULD BE bringing Felisia.


"No, I told you I couldn't."


DUH.


After we hung up, I went and looked at the message and it said exactly what SHE SAID it did.  She could NOT bring Felisia because Tim took her car.


Anyhow, that meant I had to go into rush mode.  Three sleeping kids to get up, feed, and in the car in twenty or so minutes, so I could get down the mountain and pick up Felisia and be back here in time to keep Tesia -- and all the kids-- from being late to Bible School.


I do not believe there has been any other morning, noon, or night these kids have been so COOPERATIVE as they were this morning.  They got right up.  They didn't object to me dressing them quickly and getting them straight to the bar to eat.   They didn't object to me combing their hair while they were eating.   They didn't fuss with one another.  Cathleen even kept her "No.."  it-wasn't- that- way- it-was- this-way objections to a REMARKABLE minimum.  (That girl would object to a fence post saying it's a fence post.  She'd say, "No, you're a tree that was cut down and into pieces and put in a hole in the ground to hold up wire.")  Anyway, NONE of any one of them's contrariness manifested itself this morning.


WHAT A BLESSING.


I bragged on them all the way.  And when we got there and Felicia came right out and wished Lexia a HAPPY BIRTHDAY( which--sadly-- I had forgotten about), I took advantage of that and on the way back told her that I could tell she was now five years old.  She acted older this morning by being so cooperative and nice.


And, miracle of miracles, they actually talked softly (relatively speaking) on the trip back up the mountain.


It was such a nice way to have the day start since I really was expecting it to go badly... first, because my lack of sleep would cause things to wear on me a little more, and because I surely didn't think rushing them to get ready would be so accommodating. 


Tesia had not had the same good luck as me.  She said she and Cash were not having a good morning, that he was whiny.  But she had come in and put him to bed and when I came in, after getting the kiddies all transferred to her vehicle, he had settled down.  I've not heard any whining at all.


Now, if I'd do what I should, while he's sleeping, I'd go in there and get things in order because-- if he's truly not having a good day--  this may be my only chance before everyone comes home from Bible School.

*****

Cash did not sleep long today.   He wasn't fussy.   He just wouldn't sleep.  I rocked him as long as he'd let me, but I think he was afraid he might go to sleep so he soon wanted no part of that.


So he crawled around alot and got into the doors of everything he could get to and open.   I put stools in front of my kitchen cabinet doors.  I had already tied up my end table doors yesterday.  Today his main aea of success was at the coffee table.  It also has doors.  I kept my hand on the top so he couldn't open them like he'd like to.


Later we went for a walk outside.   But, it's so hot out there, I didn't even try to walk around the circle.   I just walked him back and forth on the shady lane in front of the house.  There was a nice breeze so we didn't really get hot.


Tesia was "stressed" when she got back.   She has the responsibility of the program and she wants it to go well, but when you're trying to herd first, second, and third graders into some kind of order and produce something that makes sense that can be a formidable task.   Her part of the Bible School is now in focus.   These last few days a lot of emphasis is placed on practicing the program.

When she had taken Cash and went home, we had pizza for lunch and then ice creams cones to "celebrate" Lexi's birthday. 


She's five today. 

The kids didn't seem to grasp that you actually EAT the ice cream cone.    Cathleen wanted to dive in nose first and lick out as much as she could without ever eating the cone down around the ice cream.    The others did better.   







No comments: