This work day sure didn't pan out like I'd planned. I had seen when I went in on Saturday that my freight wasn't out but I had figured out how to go ahead and do an order anyway. I'd get my invoices, check for TO's and make a note of them, then not order anything I had ordered last week except the TO's. (TO's is the designation on our invoices for items that are Temporarily Out-of-stock in the warehouse. We have to keep reordering until the warehouse gets restocked.)
When I walked in the door, I and those who came in as I did, were told we had to get down all of last week's ad signs (because they had not been taken down) and that we should pull ALL old ad signs. (Previous administrations have let some of the old ad signs stay up if what was on sale the week before carried over into this week.) She wants new signs put up every week.
This is already cutting into my plan. It really takes me awhile to do an order To do a good one takes me close to seven hours and I was only scheduled for 6 and a half. That's not counting putting up ad signs and it's certainly is not allowing for having to go around and take down old ones.
I was already going to be slowed down by having to check and recheck my invoices.
Nevertheless, I got old signs pulled and my signs and crafts signs news put up. I had told the manager how I planned to do my order when she apologized to me at the onset of the day that my freight was not out and she agreed.
At ten o'clock she comes by and asks, Did you get your freight out?
I reiterated what she had agreed to earlier and told her I was working on my order because it takes "awhile". She decided I needed to stop ordering and get the freight out because ___ was making his rounds and he might drop in. ___ being our "new" Regional Manager, the old District Manager who I had imagined was promoted out of our lives except for few and far between visits.
So, I stopped ordering and worked on freight. I was supposed to leave at 3. Just after two, I reminded my manager that I was supposed to leave at three but she wanted me to stay until all my freight was out.
It was almost four thirty before I headed home. After I got the freight out, I needed to recover. My scrapbook paper racks had missed me. If they aren't kept up daily, they get disastrous. Customers pull those papers out and stick them back in all kinds of WRONG places. It takes awhile EVERY day to get them straight, but if they've been neglected for a week, it takes longer.
All the way home, I'm thinking: I CAN READ MY BOOK NOW. I'll have time to read my book. And that's exactly what I did. I only stopped to eat supper. I read and read and read and finally finished it at 10:45.
That book sure gave me insight into a life I knew next to nothing about. I suppose the surprising thing to me that it survived so long. I didn't know there were still "travellers" so late in the twentieth century.
At least tomorrow I don't have to be at work until nine.
7 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment