Monday, May 2, 2011

Power Was Back on in Jones Valley This Morning

As soon as I saw that posted on my Facebook  account  (by WAFF), I figured I needed to call and see if we were going to be open at work.


I didn't get an answer at the store after several attempts so I called my co-manager's cell phone.  She didn't even know the power was back on.  She lives in the Harvest area just south of the area where the tornado went through that killed several people.  (The same one that Jef and Jeni's place is just a short distance north of.)


She told me to come on in.   We had resets to get done.


When I got there, they wanted me to do a quickie order.  It would be possible to transmit it after all since the power was back on.  


Then someone made the comment, "I wonder who is going to be closing tonight.  Everyone's here now."   So, I volunteered to go home after I finished my order and come back to close.   If I hadn't there would have been NO ONE on the floor.   I even had to cover fabrics.   It was just me and the assistant manager, the guy in the frame shop, the stockman, two cashiers and a CSM that were there.  I started early putting out returns and stray merchandise from the front and then  I made round after round after round trying to be sure I was getting stray merchandise picked up and put away, keeping the store recovered,  plus making my way back to fabrics to check  for customers waiting for service in fabrics.  One of the cashiers took care of the rest of the merchandise that had to be put out from the front.  That helped out.


The curfew for Madison County is still in effect, so the store closed early  (7PM) so we could get home before dark.   I was on my way back home-- for the second time today-- by just a little after seven.


Harvest still has no power so Jef and Jeni are still at my house.  

I'm pretty tired.  I think I hear my bed calling me.  No, wait.  That's the phone ringing.  It was Tim.  He wanted me to come down and eat some chicken he'd barbequed on the grill.    I had just taken a shower, washed my hair and got ready for bed but I threw on some clothes and went on down so I could see the kids and enjoy his cooking.   

I was in bed before 10:30.  Have to be at work at nine tomorrow.





No comments: