Thursday ~my birthday~ Josh picked me up at the doorway at work at 12:30 to take me to lunch with him and Tesia at Zaxby's. I decided I could manage Zaxby's in 30 minutes if he would go preorder (we have a menu posted on the 'fridge at work) and THEN get me just as I clocked out, let me go eat, then bring me back before they were done. That worked. And I got to enjoy a Zaxby's lunch with the Josh Nordstrom family.
In the evening, Jeni had already told me to keep the time slot open because she was coming to fix my Birthday Dinner. She made me a delicious meal of ham, macaroni and cheese, homemade bread and homemade butter. We also had green beans and some delicious mashed potatoes, compliments of Tesia. Sweet tea. Jeni also brought me some goat cheese she had made.
She baked me a cake but it exploded in her oven. We have no idea why. So she bought me a carrot cake-- which was delicious.
The leftovers served me well through the next several days.
On Friday, I had intended to work on my brush pile to reduce its size all day but when I got out there and started working on it, I soon realized that when you create a brush pile with a tractor it's not the same "baby" as when you just pile brush up. The brush gets all intertwined with itself and there's not actually anything on top of something else. I began working with a little hand saw to loosen up some of the stuff and realized I was getting nowhere fast.
Light bulb! I remembered my brother saying he was going to our other brother's house with his chain saw to cut up a tree--which means he has a chain saw and can use it. So I called him and we agreed that he'd come over on Memorial Day and help me.
So, I mowed my yard and then went and got an oil change and did a few other things. The guy at Walmart told me my brake fluid was low but for liability reasons they couldn't add to it, so I bought some brake fluid.
On Saturday, I was very happy that we were having a holiday weekend because not nearly as many people decided to shop. I really needed to be left alone to do my order since I was going to be off on Memorial Day. It took me seven hours to do it. I did have to go to the registers some and I had to take some people to find things they wanted, but it wasn't like most Saturdays.
Sunday was church and rest day.
On Monday, Davis had said he'd be here at 8 so I got up and got outside by then. I started cutting the growth around the house while I waited on him. He got here about nine and first off took care of my brake fluid, then we started on the huge pile of brush. He had some difficulties getting his chain saw adjusted but we still managed to get a huge chunk out of it. Then he got stung because there's a yellow jacket nest in the pile. He sprayed it. We worked awhile longer.
We had worked for several hours on the hottest day of the year so far when he decided he'd come back on Tuesday and just tackle the pile a little at a time. I was tired out and he was too. So we went in and enjoyed a ham sandwich together (Thanks, Jen) and he left.
I had told Tim and I would cook for him and Felicia but I decided to cancel out on them and go to bed instead. (I had not slept well Sunday night.) When I told Tim, he seemed disappointed so I changed from having them come to dinner to me going to their place and Felicia and I fixing potato salad together. I'd buy some baked beans and some meat for him to grill. As it turned out Felicia had already bought meat, so we were good to go.
I went to the store and bought the potatoes and baked beans, then I came home and went to bed.
Around five thirty I went to their place and we fixed supper. It was VERY good. I enjoyed it immensely. I came home about 7:30 with the thought of getting ready for work today. Then I checked my phone for messages and saw I had missed a call from work. I listened to the voice mail and learned that the schedule had been re-worked and I would be OFF on Tuesday. I called to be sure they hadn't switched me from my other off day, which is Friday and learned that the District Manager had called and told the manager to cut everyone's hours by another eight for this week.
I called Davis and told him I'd be able to help him on the brush pile after all. Then I soon went to bed.
This morning Davis turned up with reinforcements. But they only worked a little while before the yellow jackets became a problems again so he and his friend decided that they could burn the pile. That was fine with me. We'd reduced it a great deal in size yesterday and with two men watching it, I would feel better about the burning. So he has gone to get his water hose and something that will help the burning process.
That means I won't have to spend half a day working on brush today. I will get to do other needful things.... (this not being one of them. This is just my way of keeping track of what goes on in my life. I forget so much. I can refer back to this and find out when I did some things.)
7 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment