Friday, June 18, 2010

It's Amazing that Life Never Is Slow

Sometimes it gets faster and faster.... and then it may s-l-o-w  d-o-w-n a wee bit.  But it just doesn't get slow.

At least not mine.

You'd think I'd realize that after years and years and years.  But somehow I keep feeding myself the same ol' line about what I'm going to get around to doing "after this week" with its current push-and-shove.   But, of course, next week brings its own push and shove.


On Monday it was back to work at 8AM.   I knew I was going to have to hump it to get my order done because there was a HUGE scrapbooking ad the week I was on vacation.   The ad itself proclaimed that "over 4,000 items" in my department were going to be on sale.   I could tell it when I started my order.   (When -- on Tuesday-- I was told that we were not going to have a big truck coming in on Wednesday, I said,  "If it's not big, then it's all scrapbooking" and that was only a mild exaggeration.)   Huge ad--huge order--huge amount of freight to get out on Wednesday.

My boss started a vacation on Monday and we had the misfortune of several people thinking that we could get along as easily without them as we do with them.   That's never fun but with the pressure of having a big arts and hobbies reset to do, it really didn't help us out at all.   When some don't show, the rest of us have to do their work.   It does NOT make people happy, especially if they realize the no-shows just stayed out to go do something "for fun" or that they really could have come in but chose to think something else was more important.

Monday evening I had the birthday dinner for Cathi.


On Tuesday  before going to work, I had a bunch of stuff to catch up on.  And, of course, I wanted to go see Bonnie.   (Just thinking about Bonnie makes me want to cry.)   I worked until close on Tuesday.   Used the convenience of my cell phone while on break to get with Reba and figure out how in the world we were going to get the church cleaning done this week.  She was going to campmeeting.  I was planning to spend the night with Jef and Jeni on Thursday night so I'd be there with their kids when Jef went for his surger on Friday morning.

We worked the logistics of that out.  I stayed after church Wednesday night and did my part.

Up early on Thursday and back to work because I had volunteered to come in an hour early to help out with the art and hobbies set.   Worked on that all day. Left work at 5:30  and met Jeni at Westlawn church of God, because it was also she and Jef's week to clean the church (at Westlawn) and they wanted to get it done before his surgery.  I got the kids and went back to Harvest.

While "watching the kids", I did get in some time on reading a book I'd started, BUT I also had May's sales tax to get done.   So, I worked on that Friday morning.

I really hated to go off knowing how bad Bonnie is, but there was not really anything I could do.  I was so afraid when I came home, I'd get the news that she had died even on Thursday.  When I rounded the bend in front of my house coming home on Friday evening, the road was filled with cars as was her yard.

NO!

But I asked and one of the visitors told me the family had been called in because she was "low".  I unloaded my car, ate supper, and went over.    It's really hard to know what to say or do in a situation like this.   I love these neighbors so much.  They have been so good to me.  Perfect neighbors.  Wonderful people.   And so devoted to each other.   They are the kind of married couple that you just enjoy being with because they are such good friends and so kind.

I went inside to speak to her, but I didn't even try when I saw how she was.  And she was surrounded with friends and family.  Someone was administering pain medication.   I went back outside and talked to Danny.    I have never been one to say "I wish..."   It seems so pointless.   I suppose my life has not been one that made me think wishes did any good.   But I found myself wishing that this was different.  I wished she would not be dying.  I wished that things could just go back to being like they have been for all the years they've lived there.    Twelve years, he said.

What's left for me to do is pray for him....pray that God will help him from day to day... pray that the sorrow will be bearable.  

I'm so sad about this.

No comments: