Monday, June 21, 2010

Fitting My Life into My Work Schedule

Most jobs don't allow time off for the death of good neighbors.

And I knew this week my time at work was especially needful because the number two person for covering fabrics was on vacation. That meant I'm back up. And that is what I was scheduled to do.

Monday night: fabrics
Tuesday: fabrics

Monday night is the viewing
Tuesday is when the funeral will be

We don't have a whole lot of extra employees floating around, especially to cover fabrics so I was in a quandary about how I was going to get to either the viewing or the funeral.

But my co-manager was cooperative. And the part timer who covers fabrics sometimes in the evenings -- who also works another full time job-- agreed to come in to work and take care of fabrics for me Monday evening (her off evening). I'm going to do her stint in fabrics Tuesday night.

So that worked out. But the co-manager had to agree to it because that meant I was not going to be "on the floor" until 7 as he had planned and scheduled me. I did remind him that if I was the only "closer", I would not be leaving at 7. But he was very nice about it.

Bonnie really looked good. I mean REALLY. The last time I saw her she looked so unlike herself that I couldn't imagine her being brought back to any kind of "normal" look. But she had a slight smile and a very restful look on her face.

I was glad I was able to work things around so that I could show Danny they meant enough to me to make extra effort to some.

Now the missing time starts.

No comments: