Friday, May 22, 2009

Positive Effects of Google Searching

When you get older and start forgetting things, you (and those around you) begin to wonder if you are in early stages of Alzheimer's. I really don't think I forget any more now than I did when I was much younger. (Jef actually asked me last week how he would know if I do get Alzheimer's, i.e., how would I be any different than I am now?) Nevertheless, when I see articles on things you can do to lower your chances of getting The BIG A, I read them.

If you have read any of them, you know that working puzzles and exercising your brain is one thing that is recommended. (As is walking, by the way. It gets oxygen to the brain.)

The last article I read said that researching things on google would help.


If that's true, I should have no problem with Alzheimer's. My problem will be what I don't get done otherwise because I'm sitting here "researching" things on google. I tend to lose track of time when I'm doing that.

Last night I did it again.

And, again, lost track of time.

I had gone back checking to see if there was any more information about how the HL raises were being dealt with in other areas. My boss was "under the gun" this week for not already letting go the people he needed to let go in order to meet his payroll so he "bit the bullet" and laid off some and cut others back to part time this week. He's hoping he has axed enough to get the job done.

Anyway, be that as it may, my research ended up going off on a tangent which I found to be quite interesting. I learned that the founder of HL is from a family with historic deeply religious commitment. In fact, the man who began HL is the only member of his family who is NOT a minister. His children seem to all be as committed as he is and one son, who began a business of his own at age nineteen, has been quite successful himself.

This family made the decision to give $62 million to Oral Roberts University but not without being sure that they had close oversight of the future direction of the university. (I don't know a lot about ORU, but it seems they were having troubles of various sorts.) Anyhow, the the benefactor is now chairman of the board and a majority of those seated on the new board were approved of by him.

You can find out more by doing a search of your own or you can get the gist of it all by checking out what Wikipedia says about ORU.

One cause they will promote:
From February 16-17, 2009, the Scholars Track for the Commission on Holy Spirit Empowerment in the 21st Century made its initial meeting on the university campus "looking into the future of the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement and identifying the questions that need to be addressed in order to more fully engage new generations of believers in Spirit Empowered living."

These events are leading up to the Global Congress on Holy Spirit Empowerment in the 21st Century, also called Empowered 21, that will take place on the university campus from April 8-10, 2009.

The stated purpose and goal of the Congress is to bring together "leaders, scholars, believers and youth from around the world" who will then "share insights and inspiration for the future of the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement."


In my journeys around internet land, I learned that the business success of this family has not only permitted them to donate millions of dollars to the religious causes they support, but also to build a 20,000 square foot home to enjoy. (I hope they also hire people to help them keep it clean. I'd hate to know I had a house that big to keep up.)

I think I read in former searches that they attend an Assembly of God church in Oklahoma City, but evidently his roots were from the Pentecostal Church of God. (I don't really know the differences in those two groups.) One article said his dad was a minister in the Church of God.(I'm sure that means some branch of pentecostal church of God.)

.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I have probably 10 relatives that went to ORU, including my brother. I first visited the school when I was about 13, and have been there quite a few times since (graduations and such).

It is a gaudy, over-the-top type of place, and I'm glad I have never attended there. I've heard too many stories "from the inside" to think it's a great place, as some would spout. It's financial and integrity issues are no surprise to me....or any of my family who has been around it. Unfortunately, my family members are not unfamiliar with "Christian Scandal" and just sadly shake their head when they hear about it. But they move on with the school....sad.

MVN said...

I think one major reason that the financial contribution had so many strings attached was that the benefactor wanted to be sure that there was major changes made in the way things were done.

Like I say, I really don't know anything about the place and only found out last night that there was this connection with the HL family.

Vondi said...

Can we even discuss ORU without addressing concerns about major doctrinal issues?

MVN said...

If I were discussing ORU, I might discuss doctrinal issues. But I was discussing the HL family and who they gave their donation to.

I highlighted the relevant "issue" which would allow the readers who follow me to know what their doctrinal leanings are-- pentecostal/ charismatic.