Friday, February 20, 2009

I Could Get Discouraged

But I'm not going to.

I really tried to set realistic "goals" for myself. I knew I'd get NOTHING done in January because of inventory. I readjusted my thinking to take in that I will-not-cannot make vast sweeping changes in the way I'm doing things. There's just no time for that.

I realized I was going to have to cut way down on my bloggin' time. I knew I was going to have to make myself lists to keep my mind jogged so that I would not forget what I wanted to accomplish. (I keep telling myself, "Lists are your friends." And, with a mind like mine, they are often my very best friends. It's amazing what I cannot remember if I DON'T write it down.)

Now, I'm having to adjust my thinking some more. Even with adjusting my expectations downward-- way, way down to levels that I thought I surely could attain, even with lists, even with cutting down on my computer time, I'm still not going forward as fast as I thought I would in getting the things done that I want to do.

Like walking almost every day.
Like keeping track of the food that I eat.
Like spending a little bit of time each day working on a home projects that I want to get done.
Like following through on my promise to my brother to make an appointment for a physical check up. (I also need to go to the dentist. I've had two fillings fall out.)

I just need to look around and realize that I AM MAKING PROGRESS.

It IS slow, but it is happening. (Every time I drive up into my yard, I'm very happy about all the brush we got cut two weeks ago. My dining room table has stayed relatively clear since I finally got it cleared off after inventory.)

I know I have a tendency to just NOT think about the good that I get done. I tend to think on all the ways I fall short. Lately at work I've had more of a revelation of this tendency of mine. I feel like I'm the world's worst when it comes to "public relations"-- customer service. I tend to dwell on what I need to be doing to improve instead of what I do.

Anyway, it has taken a whole lot of people to say this to break through my set-in-concrete attitude about myself, but in the last few months so many have said this to me that it is finally beginning to erode the concept I have of myself.

Customer after customer after customer has said, "Oh, I'm glad I found you. You're always so helpful and you know where to find everything." Or, "Oh, I'm glad I found you. You helped me the last time and you were so helpful." Or, "I'm glad I found you. You've always been so good to help me with what I need."

It took a bunch of them saying it for it to sink in because I DON'T REMEMBER ANY OF THIS. When they say it, I look at them more closely, and I DON'T REMEMBER THEM EITHER-- for the most part. (There are some people I remember.) But, my point is, it has taken a whole lot of people saying that to me for me to stop and re-think my self-concept about my customer service.

I guess what I'm always thinking of is that 10-foot rule you hear so much about where you are supposed to greet anyone who comes within ten feet of you. (I don't.) Or that you are supposed to be all warm and friendly. (I don't think that fits me either.) But I do know this. Whenever a customer asks for help, I have one thought in my mind: Treat them like you'd like to be treated if you were in their place. (I don't require or expect warm and friendly smiles and greetings whenever I'm within 10 feet of a person who is working in a retail place.)

My whole point here is not about customer service. It's that I tend to get negative ideas in my head about myself that may not be as true as I think they are because I FORGET about the positive things that I do and tend to hold onto the things that I feel like I need to change.

So that's why I'm not going to get discouraged. I am making progress. It's just slow. But I still am going to have to make more adjustments in order to get that walking in and to keep track of that food that goes into my mouth.

Gotta get ready for work.

.

No comments: