I went back to Jeni's and she and the kids and I all piled into her van and we started to my house (via Costco to pick up some Kirkland's lasagna and the birthday cake for Zacky). We'd invited Josh and Tesia for lasagna (to be ready at seven) and we were running late.
Jef-- as is his tradition-- was taking the birthday child to buy a gift and he would join us at my house later for the food and cake. (He would come in my car so they wouldn't have to drive back separately.)
We had an enjoyable evening. The next morning we all got up and went to breakfast with Uncle D. Then we started our yard work. (Remember in my last post I said that Jef agreed to come up and help clear brush with me on my Saturday off.) We spend all morning and a good part of the afternoon clearing parts of the yard of brush and briars.
Blake's daddy brought him up in the mid afternoon.
By the end of the day we were all worn out and feeling every muscle we have.
Jef and family loaded up to head home and left me and Blake to fend for ourselves.
I was really tired. Not up to doing much. I knew I needed to find a way to be a grandmother to Blake.
I remembered back to my childhood when my mother had read so many books --every night it seemed to me-- to us. So I asked Blake: Do you like having someone read to you? His answer: "I don't know. No one ever has." (Dagger in my heart.) So I said, "Well, we'll find out if you like it." I searched through my books trying to find Tom Sawyer but came across "Where the Red Fern Grows" first and decided to quit looking.
So Blake and I spent the evening reading. He wanted to read aloud some too. He'd have me read some, then he would. (He's a good reader.) He got so "into" the story that when we later stopped to play Yahtzee (because he had suggested we do that earlier) that he decided to stop the game and go back to reading more of the story.
And, this morning he got up at twenty after six and started reading more of it on his own. I decided I didn't want to miss out so I got my coffee and joined him. We read a couple more chapters.
I guess 6:20 may have been a little early. He's crawled back into my bed and gone back to sleep. I'll have to get him up soon so we will get to Sunday School on time.
He likes being read to.
.




No comments:
Post a Comment