Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Yummy

This cool weather makes a warm bowl of soup a treat in the evening. I came in one night and that is just what I wanted. I decided it had to be cream of asparagus soup.

I like asparagus.

I used canned asparagus.... which I notice no recipe I looked at online used. The cheap kind at that.

Anyway, I had some bacon grease left from a previous "supper" of bacon and pancakes. I started with the bacon grease, added corn starch and half and half, stirring to dissolve the cornstarch before beginning to heat the mixture.

After I had the degree of thickness I desired in my white sauce, I added the can of drained asparagus and stirred until everything was hot. The stirring broke up the asparagus so that there were very few distinct pieces. (Of all the google images I found, the one at the right looked the most like mine did when I finished. In your mind, leave off the garnish. I had none.)

Because I'm who I am I also added a dollop of margarine and a dollop of mayonnaise and stirred them in really well. Then I made some buttered toast and enjoyed my yummy snack.

As I was enjoying it, my mind went back to many years ago when Mama would try her best to feed us something good "on a shoestring". She would often make various "cream of" concoctions.

One was creamed tuna on toast. She would make the white sauce, then stir in drained tuna and sometimes add boiled eggs or peas. We ate it over buttered toast. It was good.

She also used to make creamed eggs ( from boiled eggs) on toast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW that sounds really yummy (pre mayo and butter) lol.

Now i want some soup!

I'm probably going to make my Mexican Corn Chowder this weekend!