Anyway, he pretty much sends me an email every day or so. It's not always something personal. Sometimes it's just something he has received in an email himself or something interesting he has found on the internet. (Remember, when I went to campmeeting, I shared some of the contents of his emails here.)
Well, it came to me earlier in the week that I had not given him an "update" on myself for some time so I took the time to do that. I emailed him. It's easier. Our schedules are not always compatible to phone calls. He goes to bed early. I'm often rushed in the early mornings.
Some time yesterday it dawned on me that he had NOT responded. He ALWAYS responds quickly. So I decided to check my email stash to see when he'd last sent me one of his info/inspirational emails. October 13!!!
WOW!! He could be lying down there DEAD! He could have had a stroke and I haven't even checked.
I called.
He answered immediately.
(Sigh of GREAT RELIEF. )
His computer is in the shop.
We talked awhile and then he said, "I've decided what I want you to get me for Christmas and it will be easy. Promise me you'll give me this."
What is it?
It will be easy. You can do it.
"OK... if it's easy."
"I want you to get a physical exam. You should be getting one every year. You may feel fine but getting a physical is how you can be sure to continue to have good health. I felt fine when they caught my diabetes in the early stages. Because of that I've been able to get it under control before it developed to a more advanced stage. I care about you. Get a physical. Promise me." (That's my brother.)
"It's not as easy as you think but I'll write it down and start taking steps in that direction."
I'm thinking...
Now, where , oh, where is my insurance card?
WHO-- I don't even know WHO -- is my doctor?
I really need to -- and I actually thought this LAST NIGHT as I was driving home from work-- I really need to make myself out a check list of important things that I need to KNOW WHERE THEY ARE at all times and locate them and check them off that list at least once a month.
Why? Because I truly am an out-of-sight-out-of-mind person. And if I've not seen something in a few weeks, it is totally GONE FROM MY MEMORY BANK.
What made me think about it was: I rest my arm on the car console as I drive. As a random thought, it came to me: What do I even have in that console? I did remember. And it IS something that I need to know exactly where it is at all times. And yet I had not used it in weeks and weeks so it was GONE from my mind.
My whole life pretty much revolves around what shoves itself in my face. (Not meaning that ugly.) I just mean that those who are a part of my life are the ones who make a point to be. And the ones who DON'T get crowded out by the things that DO.
Then one day, I "wake up" and realize.... WOW! how long has it been since I've even talked to so-and-so? And I can't even remember.
It is a VERY NECESSARY admonition for me to "forsake not the assembling" of myself with the saints.
I am further down the continuum of forgetfulness than some folks, but I know this:
I NEED TO BE REMINDED OF WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT IN LIFE IN A REGULAR WAY. If I wasn't, there's no telling what piddling life intrusions would crowd out me taking care of my soul.
And then, where would I be in eternity?
What a great tragedy.... to die lost because of things I did that a day later I couldn't even remember what they were.




1 comment:
Your brother is a true treasure. I pray my boys take care of their sisters like that someday.
Post a Comment