Monday, September 26, 2011

The Last Three Days

Saturday I had a very enjoyable lunch with my brothers.  We ate at Ruby Tuesday's and I had baby back ribs with a baked potato and a salad.  


Davis rode down with me, and I really wished as he reminisced that I had a tape recorder running.   Ever now and again he just gets in a mood to tell his life experiences.  He really has been through some things that most folks have never/ will never go through.  Some of it very tough stuff.  The rest was his "training" as an electrician.   He is a very smart man, but he doesn't know it all.  But.   He wouldn't always admit that he what he didn't know how to do.  He figured he could do it.  And I suppose by be willing to jump in and commit himself to work that was above his skill level, he learned more than someone who would not do that.  However, again let me say, he is very smart.  Not everyone would be sharp enough to figure things out as they go or pick up from other people what they would need to know.  And, of course, he did make mistakes. 


I had to laugh when he told me about agreeing to put up power poles for a -- I think he said-- ball field.   He had put up power poles before so he figured he could do it so when they asked if he'd ever done them for a ball field, he said he would do it.   When he got to the job, he quickly grasped that these poles were a lot higher than anything he'd ever dealt with before.  But he --with someone else's help-- got the first pole up.   AFTER it was up, the person turned to him and said, "That's the first time I ever saw someone erect one of these poles without wiring it first."   Davis had to climb that high, high pole and wire it way up in the air.   He never let that happen again.


I was sure looking forward to church on Sunday.  We'd had such a good campmeeting, I was sure it would continue on Sunday.  It did.   Our services both morning and evening were tremendous.  


And then came Monday.   I thought I would be refreshed enough that going back to work would not be a problem, but I noticed when I got on Bailey Cove that my stomach was already getting butterflies wondering what disaster might lie ahead.   Actually, when I got there, I had a great surprise.   The manager was on vacation this week.  It's going to be like another week of vacation for me....  I don't mind work.  It's stress I don't like.


I did get tired though. Tired just doing an order.   I think I'll go to bed earlier that I usually do tonight.

Photo of the day:  Autumn insisted on going with Jef and Jeni to work on the land on Sunday afternoon.  When she got back she was worn out.  She sat down on the couch and put her face into its back and she was a goner.

No comments: