Thursday, December 15, 2011

If I Don't Update this Blog...

I'm going to forget I have a blog.


I'm a VERY out-of-sight out-of-mind kind of person.   I'm not even sure I can update.  That takes remembering what I've done.




Let me take a stab at it.


I went "part-time" at work the week after Thanksgiving.   Nothing changed.  Well, that week I got two days off instead of just one.   I actually was scheduled to have three off but the co-manager asked me if I'd come in and work in seasonal on one of those days ... which I did because I'm trying to show them I will cooperate with their needs for me to be there anytime it doesn't coincide with church attendance. (Instead of working me 12-close, he changed me to 10-6.  I lost an hour, but that was okay.)


The next week I was scheduled for close to 39 hours BUT I was also scheduled for Wednesday night.  So I protested.   I got that changed and ended up having fewer hours... just over 38 for the week.  




I had hope with the part time position, I could completely walk away from BEING IN CHARGE of scrapbooking but there was just too much going on.  Too much business.  Too much to do with too few people to change things around right then.   And we did have the December stock test coming up.  I actually thought it might be that first week I went part time, but it wasn't.   We had our test on December the 8 instead of on the first.   I had had to do all the ordering AND all the putting out.  I really didn't even get everything out, but evidently I had enough out that I passed the test because they didn't even involve me in finding anything.  They only gave me Wednesday to work on just my freight and I was leaving earlier than usual so I could go to church so I didn't finish it.  On Friday and Saturday I spent HOURS on the registers.


This week I was given Monday and Tuesday off.   I was able to schedule a physical exam for Tuesday.  It was overdue.  When I went in on Wednesday, I still have a buggy FULL of stuff from last week's freight that had not yet been put out.   I was only able to get that done before leaving at four.   They had assigned me to a register and I was lucky to get that one buggy full out.  The new department head was working on getting out the stuff she had ordered.




We have been absolutely covered up in business.  I have spent hours and hours and hours on the registers.  It's really hard on my knees to stand in one place like that.   If for no other reason, I'll be glad when this Christmas rush is over because of that.  Someone said that one of the mornings when I came in late there was a store meeting and the manager said she would be hiring five cashiers AND five people to work in seasonal next year during this rush.  I'm sure she was exaggerating about hiring that many for seasonal, but we sure didn't have enough people to handle the enormous amount of business we've been getting.  Our store has had the second highest volume of business in our whole district.  Only Tupelo Mississippi was higher in sales, and they didn't beat us by much.   That takes in Birmingham, Gardendale, Cullman, Decatur, and the other Huntsville store.   There's about 12 or 13 stores in our district I think.


Today was the first day that I really felt like I might actually like this job again.  I got a taste of what it was like to NOT be in charge of scrapbooking.   This week the transfer of powers was made.  I was off from work on Monday and on Tuesday and the new girl did the whole order all by herself.  It was the first time in eleven years that I have not done an order for every  week.   Even the weeks I was on vacation, I did the order for my area by doing it on the Saturday before my vacation.


Anyway, I learned what it was like to NOT have the responsibility of a huge department on my shoulders today.  I was not the one who was responsible for making sure all the freight got out.  I was not the one called to the department to discuss resetting a couple of end caps that had new layouts.  I was not the one who was told to dust all the bases because all day the store has been in crisis mode looking for the most important visitor we ever get.  (Can't think of his title but he's even above the regional manager.)   All day everyone has been pushed this way and that because of the expectation that he would be there TODAY.    I was not involved in any of the crisis stuff.  All I had to do was go in put out freight ( I ASKED the NEW department head what she wanted me to do) and go to the registers.    I was tired when I left, but not stressed.


I thought, "I might not mind going to work again if it could be like this."   And, of course, as soon as this Christmas mania is over, there will be no need for me to be on the registers for hours.  Our next big event will be inventory.   When it is over, I expect my hours will get cut back, probably way back until the spring, when new layouts for various departments start coming in.  They all have deadlines by which they have to be completed. 


In other news, Jef is making progress on remodeling the bathroom.  He had torn out the old tub, which has been busted years ago and repaired.  He bought a new one.  And a new vanity and "medicine" cabinet.  New floor covering and paint.   He hopes to get it finished before the Fellowship meeting so we'll have to full baths to use again by then.... what with the company that is coming and will be staying here.   (One adult and three children.)

No comments: