Thursday, April 29, 2010

Not Much Sleep Last Night

I tumbled and tossed all night. I kept telling myself, "At least your feet are up and your body is resting."

I guess it was the result of a really hard day at work. I went in at 8 and we had a huge truck of freight to get to the floor. I do a lot of the taking out. I try to work fast. The fastest way to get it out is to use a cart instead of a two wheeler. You can take a whole lot more in one trip. But the drawback to that is, I have to lift every tote and box that goes on that cart twice-- once to put it on and again to take it off.

Some of those totes are REALLY heavy. I was working as fast as I could because I knew I had a HUGE order myself and I wanted that freight on the floor as soon as possible so I could get started. Believe me, I was SWEATING by the time the freight was all out.

With the new emphasis by OUR DM on getting all the freight out in one day, I wanted to give it my best shot. I knew it wasn't likely I could unless I got help but I was willing to try. I didn't even take a morning break. I cut my lunch short--23 minutes-- and I only sat down long enough to eat an apple about 3:30 for an afternoon break. I worked from 8 until 6 going full steam.

We were "checked on" in late afternoon to see how we were doing. I asked my boss how it went and he said, "No one had all their freight out." He's not big on words. But I knew what he meant. NOT GOOD. When I left at six, he was thinking that he had no idea when he'd be able to go home. He has a long, long drive. I drive 18 miles one way. I imagine his drive is more like 50 miles. I'd hate to have to drive 50 miles going home late and then have to drive it back early the next morning. (I know people who have driven further for their work's sake, but knowing someone has it worse doesn't always make it easy on you.)

For the two weeks previous, I did get all my freight out on Wednesday, but this week I was restocking from a pretty big ad last week. I had a huge order. Almost twice the size of the an ordinary week.

So, I'm going in earlier than scheduled today to see if I can finish it early. I told the boss he could give me a long lunch to adjust the hours. (He can't go over payroll to get this work done or he's in Dutch that way too so he can't give us more hours to get it done without cutting them out somewhere else.)

Oh, by the way, did I say we got another one of those "good" raises that required him to cut more employees and cut our time so he'd not go over his payroll budget. So, like last year, we are expected to do as much-- well, really MORE-- than before with fewer people and cut hours. We are being paid enough now that the store should "be in perfect condition" at all times. If we're not good enough to accomplish that, they'll get someone to replace us who can.

But, I have a job. And I like my work. And I like my boss. And I have a beautiful store to work in. And God helps me keep my attitude adjusted so that I can focus on the good, do my best, and trust Him with the outcome. In just under six weeks, I will have worked this job for ten years WITHOUT MISSING ONE DAY that I have been scheduled to work. God has been good to give me good health, but I also take into account what is commonly known, "Being happy in what you do helps you have good health."

No comments: