Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Vacation

I put in for a vacation this week so that Jeni could go with Jef to Washington, D.C.-- a business trip for him, a get away and relax time for her.

Well, as luck would have it, three of our key people got sent off to a set up in Knoxville, Tennessee so I really was needed at work as much as I could spare, so I gave back two days of my vacation and took off three, plus my normal day off for the week.

I went into work on Tuesday, worked until almost six, then drove to Harvest and spent the night.   Jef went into work for a little while on Wednesday.  Then Jeni and I and the kids drove down to meet him there.  And I came home with FIVE kids to keep happy until Saturday.



The kids do all right when it comes to finding things to do to entertain themselves even if it's just tormenting each other.   If you can't find any other way not to be bored, then try out just touching someone who doesn't want to be touched... or even looking at someone who doesn't want to be looked at.   Or, doing the same thing that someone else is doing..."He's copying me."   So for a few days I get to watch Autumn climb and Brad talk about Breakfast, Lunch and Supper and, oh, yes, snacks before bed... and going to the uncle's on Saturday--it switches from one uncle to another.  Sam and Zackary be builders-- with the huge box of Lego I have from when my boys were small.  And Rachel fit in here and there with each of them, going from Lego to dolls, to whatever next suits her.  (She is a little informer.... what we used to call a tattletale.)

I should really have fun tonight taking them all to church.  I get to relive the life of not knowing much of what is going on in service because there's always some kid that needs to be tended to in one way or another.

And then, on Friday afternoon, we are going to have more kids come and see if we can pull together some kind of a belated celebration for Cathleen and Caleb's birthdays.

1 comment:

MVN said...

-- that Paw said:

Ah, memories....
And these are HOMESCHOOLED kids.
As such, they are not little robots preoccupied with television "heroes" or characters, the current fads, fashions, etc. like most victims of our government schools.
Instead, these are independent thinkers, creative, explorers, builders, and (contrary to the common criticism put forth by "professional educators") socially interactive little people.
[I have never met a homeschooled child who could not carry on a cordial, intelligent conversation with an adult.
I can almost tell they are homeschooled by the way they interact with others.]
Me dos centavos....