It was my Sunday to have company for dinner and I hadn't done anything to prepare. I figured we could just go get some hotdogs-- because I've been told in the past, "We'll just have hotdogs; that will be fine" or have hamburgers.
So, I thought I had it all figured out. You can have all kinds of kids when you're "doing hotdogs" so I expanded my invitation to include even more. Plus one of the kids coming wanted to bring a friend. Th
Meantime, Jeni texted and said that they'd left some stuff at my house from Saturday so they were going to come up and get it after church. Fine. Eat with us. I've decided to have hotdogs for the kids (by this time the kids were far outnumbering the adults) and I'll cook hamburgers for the adults. Jeni said she'd left some baked potatoes; she'd like that too. I thought that would be a good addition. Hamburgers and loaded baked potatoes for the adults and chips and hotdogs for the kids. I bought more potatoes, cheese, sour cream, and came home to start cooking potatoes and bacon and hamburgers.
I didn't figure on a "brown out".... after all we'd NEVER had one before.
The flourescent lights wouldn't come on and the microwave wouldn't cook!! And the house was full of kids and adults waiting for food.
It really wasn't so bad. Hotdogs cook quickly so the kids got their chips and hotdogs. Our hamburgers came in second and bit by bit, one by one, we were able to get some of the potatoes done.
There are some things you just don't think to plan for.
My alteration of a popular quote:
Don't try to avoid the storms; just learn to dance in the rain.
7 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment