My boss of ten years decided to move on. He left right after inventory in January. We've had a new boss for about six weeks now.
This new person was a co manager at the other HV store for about fifteen months before he came to us. That store is managed by the person who is the Supervisor for the three stores in the HV-Decatur area. So our new manager was trained to do things exactly "by the book" and he is used to doing things the way the Supervisor wants them done.... and she in turn did things in just the way the District Manager wanted them done... so we have been the ones being "broke in"... not our new boss. I think he pretty much is used to living with all the rules no matter how confining they might be. (Things like keeping the trash door locked at all times-- an inconvenience which puts more work on those who get left with the trash.)
One thing that they want to accomplish is to be sure ALL ordered freight is on the counters within 24 hours of being brought to the floor. That's a worthy ideal but not always a practical objective. But, to that end, they really want people to stay until it's done. That kind of throws a wrench in my Wednesday nights. They are not insisting that I stay because I have let them know I want to go to church-- and I've always been scheduled early so that I can do that-- but to be more accommodating, I am working longer hours on Wednesday. I try to calculate just how late I can work and still get to church by seven.
Yesterday we began something else. Now we are expected to track our productivity. We are to write down all the time we spend on busting freight until it is completely out. We turn that in and they divide the number of pieces we have to get out by the time it took us to do it.
Things are really quite interesting right now because we have three "key people" gone to a set up in Knoxville. (I was asked to go but said I didn't want to miss church, so someone else was asked. They always say, "There are churches there," Of course, in this case they were right, but I didn't tell them they were because I have learned when it comes to things you are willing to do that it's better to not set a precedent because these people never see things the way a person does who intends to keep God and truth first in their lives.)
I had already scheduled a vacation to keep grandkids BEFORE the set up situation came up so next week I will be gone also. (I did give back two days that I was not going to absolutely be needed for kid-sitting, but I will not be there four days next week.) But before I leave I must get a big reset done and some other decreed projects. In general, that wouldn't be a problem, but with other "key" people missing the rest of us are covering for them. I'm working overtime a lot this week to cover both issues.
.
7 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment