My first grandson, Blake, has three younger siblings. Twins who are four years old. And a three year old sister. His three year old sister was born with some kind of growth (or something-- my memory is not great) on her brain that caused her to have seizures. To do surgery on the growth to remove it was going to be very risky at minimum. There was the possibility of causing some kind of permanent handicap in other ways. So it was not a decision her parents rushed into.
But her seizures got worse and more often until they felt they had to go ahead with the surgery. They took her to Birmingham a couple weeks ago for that. It has not gone well. She has had all kinds of complications-- a touch and go situation. Last night I got a call that she will be taken back into surgery this morning because the swelling on her brain was increasing and her fever going back up.
Anyway, I was to get Blake for Thanksgiving. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get him even sooner because his other grandmother wants to go to Birmingham today to be there when her grandchild comes out of the surgery. What complicates it for me is that he lives as far north of town as I do south of town and the traffic situation in the evenings--espeically now-- is horrible.
We're working it out, but I may end up having to leave work earlier to pick him up after school on Wednesday.
Of course, with working every day, there's been no free time to do anything ahead. But then, I knew I'd have to do my cooking on Thanksgiving Day anyway so I scheduled my meal somewhat later to take care of that situation.
Jeni has been my mainstay for years. She comes early on Thanksgiving and helps me but this year she and Jef and family decided to "go on a vacation" which I am sure they need after all they've been through this year. I am happy they can go, but I sure will miss having them here and I will miss Jeni's help. I'll also miss it that her Mom and Dad come by to visit with us for awhile in the morning before going to her brother's. Her Mom would sit and chat with us and helped us with the food preparation.
Tonight should be fun. Our freight day has been switched to today because of the holiday. And, besides that, shoppers are flooding us. So besides getting out freight, I'll be running to the registers to get people through the lines and then home to MUCH TO DO.

I am praying things go well for Brooklyn. She goes into surgery around eleven.
This picture shows Derrek, Blake's Dad,
holding Brooklyn. It was take the night of
our Bible School program. The picture
is not a good one but it's the best I've got.
holding Brooklyn. It was take the night of
our Bible School program. The picture
is not a good one but it's the best I've got.




No comments:
Post a Comment