Monday, March 19, 2012

Marvelous Monday

The weather couldn't have been any better. Beautiful day. Something about a beautiful day, clear skies and the sun shining just makes everything seem better.

I didn't get outside much though because I was continuing my investigation of "diets". I need to be on one of some kind. I'm trying to find something that will work for me over the long haul. But I'd like to start off with a quick drop of at least a few pounds to encourage me on my journey.

I went over to someone's house last night who was taking the time to educate me (somewhat) on the benefits of the diet advocated by Dr Mark Hyman who wrote "The Sugar Solution". Dr. Hyman is an advocate of getting to the root of the problem rather than treating symptoms. I think that's a smart approach. It's a "whole-systems" approach to practicing medicine which he calls Functional Medicine.

I'm not sure what all I'd have to abstain from to follow Dr. Hyman's Blood Sugar Solution diet but I do know that a good number of diets recommend organic foods and raw foods. They also have a long list of don't-eat-these-at-all foods. Of course, there's the usual no processed foods, no foods with a high glycemic rating, but I think he goes even further. I probably won't go as far as he advocates, but I certainly need to cut back on something. And I do believe that filling up on good foods is one way to stave off hunger rather than just trying to starve myself into a smaller size.

Anyway, I did spend a good bit of my morning looking around at various websites to see what each of them recommended. I ended up thinking that just maybe I'll look over what Peer Trainer has to say. And I may go back and look over Sparkpeople.

So that was how I spent my morning.

Then Tim called and wanted me to bring some boxes to him-- which I had already told Felicia I would do, but had thought she'd not really want to use them until Tuesday so I had decided to "put it off". I had Autumn for the day because Jeni was gone to some kind of semi-annual meeting in Tuscumbia that is working toward getting midwifery legalized (and thus regulated) in Alabama.

Autumn is a tee-totally delightful child. I had already enjoyed eavesdropping while she talked to her other self in the mirror. We made two trips to take boxes and as we were leaving she was trying to convince me to buy her some M&Ms. I said "No". She said, "My mama would". I asked, "What about me looks like your Mama?" "Your skin," she answered. Then she added, "If you'll buy me some M&Ms, I'll tell you that your hair and eyes look like my mama's." She ended up with M&Ms because after I told Tim about this conversation, he said, I have some M&Ms she can have.

Home again. The other kids got home from school. They mainly played outside until Jeni got home. Brad didn't. Brad is sick. Later Jeni took his temperature and said it was 102. He won't be going to school tomorrow.

After Jef got home, and Brad was "tucked" in bed, Jef and Jeni, Sam and the girls went off to the school where Jef was going to play ball. Zack opted to stay here and entertain himself in various ways. He didn't see any fun in going to the school and watching others play ball.

So, I've had a by-myself kind of evening. It's nice. I like that. I'm not given to loneliness.

No comments: