I told Jeni I'd babysit so she and Jef could have their anniversary date --FINALLY. Their anniversary was last week. I figured I'd drive to their place since it would be easier on everyone and I could just slip out early and come on home and get started on things I want to get done here before Bible School.
Anyhow, I took along a book a friend of mine had (so generously) bought and sent to me when I said it sounded like something I'd enjoy reading. It's about Noah Byrum who worked with the Gospel Trumpet Publishing Company.
I spent the evening reading that book. I'm enjoying it. (I really need to spend more time reading instead of surfing.) But there was one thing that struck me as so different about this man than how 15-year-olds are today. His brother, who was perhaps ten years older than he, had asked him to go to work with him at the Gospel Trumpet. The first day that he went to whomever it was that was to tell him what his work would be for the day, he was hoping that it would have something to do with keeping the books. He had eyed the desk and stool longingly from the time he first saw it. But he was asked to go out and chop wood. He spent the whole day chopping and carrying wood. ALL DAY. The next day he was asked to dig up stumps. He was asked to sweep and clean the floors which he did will all diligence. Then he was given the job of repair work on the the building and painting it.
I mean. WORK. He not only did the HARD work, he did it as well as he could do it which was good because he was a farm boy and was accustomed to hard work. But nonetheless, it amazed me that he had such a good attitude about what he was given to do and not just attitude... HE DID THE WORK and did it well.
Of course, all those who worked for the Gospel Trumpet had much work to do so it wasn't like they were driving him to do work and they sat back and watched. But still it was amazing to think of a 15 year old going in their and doing the job the way he did it. Nowadays, it seems hard to get a fifteen year old to get up from the keyboard and do anything useful. (Is that an exaggeration?)
Having said that, perhaps I need to get up from this keyboard and do something more useful... since I do have a lot to get done.
The Book of Noah—Memoirs from our Past This is a book on the Church of God beginnings! Noah Byrum was an Indiana farm boy who began working with the Gospel Trumpet family at age fifteen first in Grand Junction, Michigan then Moundsville, West Virginia and Anderson, Indiana. He was a friend of D.S. Warner for the last ten years of Warner’s life. They walked, talked and fished together. For more than ten years Noah kept a daily dairy that is the basis for his story. Dale Stultz has filled the book with scores of great pictures as well.




No comments:
Post a Comment