Friday, August 28, 2009

Stove top meatloaf

I like meatloaf.
Actually I really like meatloaf a lot.

But I've never made it much because I could never figure out how to make it so that it didn't crumble.

I don't like my meatloaf to crumble.

I like for it to stay together and slice nicely.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I could find a recipe that would work the way I want it to. I asked some of my co-workers about their recipe for meat loaf.

I'd put it off long enough.

But one thing I did not want to do was to have to wait for an oven to preheat and then cook for an hour or longer. I wanted to be able to fix it and eat it within 30 minutes of the time I started.

Hmmm.
So, how would I be able to do that?

I was mulling it over as I was driving home from work on Thursday and decided I'd try making myself some "fried" meatloaf. (Stove top meatloaf would be a more accurate description.)



So I went by F-4-L to get me some ground beef.






I decided I might as well throw in green pepper while I was at it.






And some old fashioned oats.










I already had eggs and Lipton dry onion soup mix at home.





I mixed the ground beef, chopped green pepper, together with oats, dry onion soup mix, and an egg.

I shaped into a large "patty" shape and flattened it out so that it was not much thicker than a thick hamburger.

Then I put it in a skillet and cooked it on medium heat, with a lid, for probably 20-30 minutes.

It was soOoOoO good that I wished I'd made more. I had enough for three meals: supper last night, a meatloaf sandwich for breakfast and then another meal before I went to work today.

I think the next time I try it on top of the stove I will use either cracker crumbs or bread instead of the oats. The old fashioned oats delayed the get-done time. (Quick oats would probably be better for stove top meatloaf.)


It looked a lot like this one does.












This is not my picture.
It is one I found in google images.

1 comment:

vondoi said...

What an excellent idea! Ours never crumbles but it takes SO LONG at the end of a long work day. Your idea was fanastic. Don't you wonder sometimes why it took you so long to come up with flashes of inspiration like this one. I do all the time, "Why didn't I think of this sooner!"