Sunday, July 1, 2012

Out of Sight, Out of Mind

The nature of my memory seems to be, if I don't do something often, I forget about it entirely.   And so it seems to be with this blog.  


I noticed it's been about two weeks since I wrote anything.   That isn't because I ceased to live.  But my life is pretty much the same day in and day out.   The last major event that was different was Bible School.  After that was over, I just went back to "normal" life...


It does seem like that the days I have been scheduled to work were stepped up, even during the last week of Bible School.   And I had told them that it would be fine with me if I only worked two days that week.   As it turned out I worked FOUR, but they did schedule those work times around Bible School so that I could get my grandchildren there and take them home afterwards.   I actually ended up working on a Wednesday night during that week, which I was not happy about at all.... but just when I started to object to the scheduling,  I happened to remember that the girl who had taken over scrapbooking was hoping that I could work so she could be off because her husband was having surgery.   So, I let it go.   But I was told I missed an excellent lesson that night so I requested a copy of it (which I did get and did listen to and it was very good and I will be listening to it again).


There was a week between Bible School and the time so many left for Lakeland Campmeeting.   I didn't go.   It's a good thing I didn't.  I got sick that week.   As it turned out, I had been scheduled to be off three days at the first of that week and my body decided that would be a good time for me to get sick.    I managed to pull out of it enough by Thursday and go back to work at two, but I was still weak.   And evidently I was "out of it" as well because I actually thought I did a good recovery that evening (really), but when I went in the next day the boss was talking about the bad recovery so I made him show me HOW it was bad and he did.  He had taken pictures on his phone and he walked the aisles with me as well.   The more we walked and the more he pointed out that I had missed-- pulling EVERY ITEM to the edge, turning the 2oz paints with labels forward, making sure the pack of paper were all even and to the left, nothing under the waterfalls.... the more we walked and the more he showed me what I had missed, all I could say to him was, "I can't believe this.   I knew I was sick but I didn't know I was this bad.  I ACTUALLY THOUGHT that I had done well.   Obviously, I missed way too much and the only thing I can say is, 'I should have called in and not come at all.  It didn't do any good for me to be here.' "   I know I didn't miss everything, because I did do a whole lot of recovering, but they really do expect it to be perfect before we leave and the part I was supposed to recover certainly was not.   (Usually I do well on recovery.)


Then very early Friday morning (the 22nd) ... wee hours early... the phone rung.  It was Tim and he told me that Felisia and Lexi's daddy had died the night before.   He was only 29.  That was a blow.   I managed to get my scheduled changed around on Saturday so that I could stay with Daxton and Braxton while the rest of the family went to the viewing, funeral and the burial... which was some distance from where the funeral was.    


I went into work at four.   My boss was unhappy because the communication system had broken down.  I had done everything I could and told everyone I thought would need to know to be sure that she and everyone else would know that I would not be there until four.  She was not there when the arrangement was made and somehow the communqué did not get to her so she thought I was supposed to be there at two and she was disconcerted.  


I seem to be the pinch hitter in fabrics a lot lately.    First, there were unexpected occurrences of relatives getting sick or dying by more than one of the people who normally work there.   Then, the floral person found another job and they pulled one of the full time fabric workers to floral to take over that slot, leaving a number of schedule holes in fabrics.    They did decided to pull a cashier, who had previously worked in fabrics at another of our stores, over to take care of some of the need, but they could only do that when she was not needed as a cashier.    Besides the emergencies and the transfer,  one of the other people who help out there went on vacation and next week there will be yet another one on vacation, so I suppose much of working time next week will be covering fabrics.


This past Friday, I was off and took advantage of that opportunity to have lunch with my brothers.


Yesterday when I went in, instead of sending me to fabrics I was asked to get out the clearance in the back and then to set a counter in seasonal.    The two together were an all day job... except I did cover fabrics lunch.... and it was really a quite taxing day considering the heat and the effort combined.   I had to set over forty shelves.     I had to clear the counter first of the merchandise that was there, get the shelves and their supports from the back, and then follow the diagram they send us for the placement of the shelves. 

I've been getting EXTRA tired after a full day's work lately.  I'm not sure if it's that I'm still recovering or if the extremely high temperatures are making the difference.
 

No comments: