One problem.
Daxton is no dummy.
He has figured out that when I show up, it is not good. He is going to be left while his Mom and Dad go off with all his big sisters and brother. He gives me a very uncertain welcome and starts wanting to get get closer to one of them.
Today, by the time I got there, Felisia, Lexia, Cathleen, and Caleb were already in the van. Daxton had come out on the porch and was looking at me apprehensively. His Dad was there with him but went back into the house to get something and Felicia came out to where I was.
Suddenly-- and I do mean suddenly-- it dawned on this little one what was about to take place and his apprehension turned to alarm and then ANGER. He rushed at his mom and you could tell he was trying to let her know that he did not like what was about to happen.
I said to Felicia, "He knows what's going to happen and he doesn't like it. He wants to go." Now, the thing about it is this. He has gone with them in the past. I haven't always been able to keep the babies when they go, so he knows what he's going to NOT be a part of. He knew what he would be missing.
She walked back into the house with Daxton right behind. I followed, anxious to see how this was going to play out. He rushed at his Daddy with the same angry exclamations (incomprehensible but yet not at all incomprehensible because we knew exactly what he was trying to convey).
Tim made the decision to take him by saying to Felicia, "Get his Bulldogs shirt and put it on him." She went to the bedroom and came out with that shirt and I've never seen such a change in a child. INSTANTLY he was all smiles. When they put that shirt on him, he was a happy, happy little boy ready to go. He knew he had won without anyone saying a word to him. Felicia said, "He's our mascot." It's obvious he loved to be a part of that game.
I couldn't believe a 14 month old boy could comprehend so much and communicate-- without saying an intelligible word-- just what he wanted. And then change so drastically after he realized he was going to get to go.
I wish I could have had a picture of him in that green Wildcats shirt with that huge smile on his face.... No one had said TO HIM, "You can go". He just knew that he was getting what he wanted and he was happy as could be.
****
Today was Zac's birthday. He's now nine years old. Jeni made him a chocolate birthday cake "from scratch" and it was VERY good. She also made "seven minute icing" to go on it. For decoration she put a hatchet in it, because that's what he wanted, and decorated it with "blood". The hatchet was removed before this picture was taken. All you see is the "blood".
| Zac is now nine years old |
I've been tired all day and I have NO IDEA why. I've not done anything that should have made me tired. Must be the weather. I could go to bed (again) and sleep right now. After sleeping well last night, I went and kept Braxton and SAT holding him for two hours. I came home and ate lunch then laid down for awhile. Now, I'd like to do it again.
But we're having revival so I won't be going to bed early.




No comments:
Post a Comment