Monday, November 7, 2011

Another Week Has Gone...

How swiftly time passes....


And the older I get, the more quickly it goes.


My trip to the library ended up filling any of the time I might have chosen to write here.  Instead, I've been crawling into bed on these cool evenings with a book.  I've read several this week.  The idea, when I went, was to find some that would be easy to read and could be finished quickly since-- in the past-- it's been so hard for me to put a book down once I start.


I have found that age makes a difference on the putting down of a book too.  When I was young, I could never count on being able to read until I got sleepy, put the book down, and go off to sleep.  If I ever started reading, I got so involved in the book, it kept me awake.  I'd read, read, read, read, read -- right on through the night until the sun came up the next day.   But I'm not like that now.  I find myself nodding off even when I want to finish a chapter before I go to bed.   

Age changes so much in life.

I was scheduled to work another Saturday.  That after working the Saturday before.  I was not really happy about it because I thought it would mean I'd be with the "bi-polar" manager.  But I consoled myself with the thought that at least I was not scheduled to close.  Closing on Saturday nights can be tough.   We are understaffed and have much to get done.    As it turned out, the b-p manager had ANOTHER weekend off.  Third in a row.  So, it was okay.  


I might as well get used to working every Saturday.  I think when you're part time that's pretty much the way it goes.   I'm not for sure that it will be that way, but I expect that it will.  The idea is to give the full time people more time during the week to get their work done.   Saturdays are not productive.   The store is FULL of customers.  Men or families.... which means children playing with merchandise and husbands telling their wives to hurry ... so they chunk things here and there WORSE than they do through the week.  Which is hard to imagine.  So maybe that's not really true.  Maybe it's just that there are more people to do the chunking.


I was told my replacement might come to scrapbooking this week,but that's been said before.  I won't hold my breath.   Before she can leave where she is, HER REPLACEMENT has to come over and do the work she is now doing.   And her replacement is working in Home Accents.   One thing that did happen that could mean that the ball has begun rolling in my direction is that a part time person in Home Accents was made full time.   That means at least part of the time that the one going to jewelry works has been accounted for.   The rest of the HA replacement is (supposedly) an assistant manager.  That's a laugh.  This guy is the "solution" for every need.   Anytime there's a need for extra personnel to help with a task, "I'll get [him] to do it."   There's no way he can get around to all the stuff he has been told to take care of.

Saturday was another hectic day.  And it will continue to be that way right up until Christmas.  People everywhere.   People needing help to find what they want.  People needing information on how to do something.   All kinds of needs for personnel to be there, but  not that many of us to handle the demands.   I made a customer mad.... well, it wasn't just me... because I was coming out of the aisle to go to the phone to take care of a price check from the front and she wanted me to take her to something she couldn't find.   I told her that I would as soon as I did the price check, but she was UPSET, saying I was the FOURTH employee who had been unwilling to help her and she stomped off.   (People usually exaggerate when they are upset, but she probably had been brushed off.  Possibly because I had heard her ON A CELL PHONE in a very heated, prolonged conversation with someone.   I was on my aisle doing my order and she was going up and down in scrapbooking looking at this, that, and the other carrying on this conversation loudly enough for me to hear her even two aisles away.  She was already in the midst of it when she walked into the scrapbooking department.  So, PERHAPS as employee did not give her the attention she felt she deserved because she was wrapped up in her cell phone conversation. )



I better get up from here and get myself ready for another day of work. 



No comments: