Friday, September 4, 2009

Eureka!

I've accidentally stumbled upon the reason for the decline in our nation.

I was looking for names that began with an I and in my googling around came across the Social Security Index of Most Popular names. You put in the year and they give you the 20 most popular boys and girls names for that year. Their records go back to 1880, so I could go no further back than that.

One story I often tell is how I got my name. My daddy wanted to name me Mary. My mother did not like the name Mary so she persuaded him to let her name me after him. I wanted to see how popular that name was.

I began with the year I was born, 1946, to see what was the most popular girl's name in that year.

Mary.

Hmmm.

Interesting.

What about 1945?

Mary.

Hmmm.

That's interesting too.

Let me keep going back and see when Mary first became the most popular girl's name.

WOW!

As far back as Social Security has the data (1880), Mary was the most popular girl's name.


Okay, so let's see how long it remained most popular after 1946.

Ouch!

In 1947 LINDA took power and she didn't give it back until 1953.

But from 1953 until 1961, MARY regained her power.

Alas.

Beginning in 1962, Lisa took over and she held that number one spot through 1969.... but, and this is the sad part, MARY began her descent until she was totally out of the picture and she has NOT RETURNED.

Mary's demise:
1969--#8
1970-71--#9
1972--#13
1973--#14
1974-- She tried to make a comeback-- #13
1975--#19
1976-2008 MARY DID NOT EVEN PLACE.

Lisa reigned from 1962-1969
Jennifer took over in 1970 and stayed number one all the way through 1984.
Then Jessica moved in for a reign of 5 years--1985-1990
Ashley came forward for 1991 and 1992
Jessica popped back up in 1993.
From 1996 until 2007, Emily held first place.
In 2008, the last year they presently have records for, EMMA had taken the lead.

Now I know why our nation is on a downward plunge. Traditional values have taken a plunge. The fact that Mary disappeared from their lives is a strong indicator of this.


And that, my folks, is about as true as a lot of the other junk folks present these days. Don't believe all you read.

.

2 comments:

Vondi said...

Now that's what I call Logic!

Paw said...

I have done a similar, though less rigorous, exercise on both boys and girls names, but I was just looking for names that came from the Bible.
My note of interest was that about half of the 10 most popular boys in 2008 are from the Bible.
"Matthew" is one of them.

Me dos centavos