I went part time at work last year or I'd have never even considered the possibility that I might get to go to the Escondido Campmeeting. In retail November is NOT an acceptable time to ask for days off. BUT, I did go part time, so I thought...Hmmm... maybe, just maybe I could go.
I started praying about it that God would give me the right opportunity to ask off. I knew I'd have to catch my manager at just the right time. She is crisis oriented and sometimes it's hard to find a time when she's not in the middle of a crisis. But I did pray. One Saturday morning, when she was the Saturday manager, I just happened to catch her at her office door right before I was going to clock in. (It's kinda touchy to ask things "on the clock". When you need a personal favor, it's much better if you can ask for it on your own time.)
So, I said, "I'm part time now. I'm not as necessary to be here all the time." She interrupted me right there and said, "Oh, yes you are necessary." But I continued. I said, "I wouldn't even ask this is I was still full time because I know it's not allowed, but I'd like to take some time off in the early part of November to go to see my grandkids in California. I'm choosing that time because it coincides with a church campmeeting that I'd like to go to as well. Do you think I could get off for that?"
The timing was exquisite. She said, "T___ [the district manager] is coming in this morning. I'll ask him." And she didn't forget to do that. He told her it was up to her so she granted me the permission "if you don't tell anyone". I agreed. (Like you can keep that under cover forever. I mean, people do notice when you don't come to work.)
Then I got together with the sister who is famous for being able to get good deals on airline tickets. She told me that bidding about a month beforehand generally gave the best price. So we did that. I got an amazing good price for a round trip ticket from Nashville to San Diego. $194. Add $40 to that for the $20 bag check each way. $236.
Another young sister wanted to go and come on the same days that I did, so we both got that deal. Our flights were great. They left on time and arrived on time. I had already learned that one young man had had to sit in the Denver airport over night because of fog in San Diego. He had left on the same flight we did, the day before. And when I was picked up in San Diego, I found out that some who had actually been able to fly to San Diego had not been able to land there but had to go further North and be bussed back. So I was VERY happy that our flights all landed right on time.
I stayed with my grandchildren at there home so it was like being at a Bed & Breakfast. Every morning, Sister F cooked us a special breakfast. I got to visit with the kids other grandmother (actually great-grandmother) because she had come to-- from Florida and was staying here as well. And I got to be with Kali and Micah. Kirsti had given up her bedroom for me and was staying on the campgrounds in the girls dorm. That was enjoyable for her because she got to be with all the young people throughout the campmeeting.
This campmeeting was a VERY SPECIAL meeting. I had heard much about it from those who had gone in the past-- and urged all who could possibly do it to go. But I would never have been able to imagine why it was so special. It would be hard to explain here. But I did come home with the same desire to urge others to go. The saints in Escondido are such a sweet congregation of people. There are a number of Spanish speaking people in the congregation there, so all of the services included contributions in both languages (with interpretation. The main means of interpretation was electronic. The Spanish speaking people had ear phones and someone in the audience interpreted for them using a mike that allowed just them to hear the interpretation.)
After the meeting, on Monday, we had a farewell gathering at the Oceanside beach. We roasted hot dogs (and marshmallows) around a fire. It's a beautiful place. The sunset there was one of the prettiest I've seen.
I am so glad I got to make this trip. I would be glad to do it every year if I could get off from work to go. But I will take one year at a time.
7 years ago




No comments:
Post a Comment